+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Visa Extension Denied but want to apply for PR with husband

Kraem

Dec 8, 2016
Hi all,

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer. I recently applied for a work visa extension that was denied and I am looking at my options. My husband and I have been married for over 4 years, living in Canada for almost 6 years - student then Post Graduate work visa. If I apply with the new family sponsorship application on the 15th and send aa new open work permit along with I t, will my current work permit (doesn't expire until February 2017) still be valid? From reading, if I resubmit a second work visa application before mine expires, the visa will not be invalid until the second application is processed. I am currently workings job in Canada and my husband and I also have our own business. Just a big stressed at what my options are since I received word today my application was denied - the wording on the electronic message was unclear why.

Thanks again.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hi,
most likely your extension was denied because the type of permit you have is not extendable. i think this is common for PGWP, though i'm not 100% positive and others will confirm.

your current work visa is valid until the expiration date listed on it. any application you have for other work permits do not invalidate your current permit. the owp for spousal sponsorship takes 4 months to get, so if you don't receive the new OWP before your current permit expires you need to stop working until you receive the new one. if you continue working on an expired work permit, even though you have an application for another one in, you will be working illegally.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Kraem said:
Hi all,

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer. I recently applied for a work visa extension that was denied and I am looking at my options. My husband and I have been married for over 4 years, living in Canada for almost 6 years - student then Post Graduate work visa. If I apply with the new family sponsorship application on the 15th and send aa new open work permit along with I t, will my current work permit (doesn't expire until February 2017) still be valid? From reading, if I resubmit a second work visa application before mine expires, the visa will not be invalid until the second application is processed. I am currently workings job in Canada and my husband and I also have our own business. Just a big stressed at what my options are since I received word today my application was denied - the wording on the electronic message was unclear why.

Thanks again.
Was he working all this time? If so, it may be because workers can't work more than 4 years continuously, I thought.