+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit while waiting for PR

SarahJane

Oct 1, 2014
Hi there,
I am sponsoring my partner for his permanent residency (applied from inside in October 2014). He is an Australian citizen currently residing in Canada with me. He currently has an International Experience Canada work visa (working holiday visa) expiring in August 2016. We are looking at applying for a work permit (a new one) while waiting for his PR to come through since the new processing times are way longer than initially stated at the time we lodged our application. Has anyone ever applied to a work permit after submitting their PR application though the spouse sponsoring program? Is the processing time long? And also, what should he answer at question #3 of the form 5710 when asked if applying for a ''Work Permit with Same Employer'' OR an ''initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer''? He is still working for the same employer as before, but he currently is on an non-restricted work permit, so it didn't use to matter.

Thank you for any help,
SJ

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he submitted an INLAND sponsorship application, he can apply [now] for an OWP. The total amount is $255
It takes ~ 4 months to process and receive the OWP. He should choose `initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer', since his current IEC WP cannot be extended. Obviously, he would be entitled to work for his current employer with the OWP.

But...he really should have submitted an Outland application (even though he's in Canada), because he would have likely completed the entire process by now. Sydney is one of the fastest visa offices.

SarahJane

Oct 1, 2014
Thank you for your reply.
Sadly we only found out after submitting our application that we could have applied from outside even if we are living in Canada. Do you know by any chance if the "4 year maximum of work in Canada" rule apply in his case? Cause he's close to have being here for 4 years :/