+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit/temporary work permit for U.S. Citizen

Maxelix

Dec 27, 2018
Hi,

I have a U.S. Citizen friend who is interested into moving to Canada. She is looking into several alternatives, from short summer programs to more definite work permits. I have two questions regarding that.

1. To get a work visa for a summer job in northern Ontario, what is the best way for her to go about it? Would the visa even be issued on time?

2. To get a long term work permit, is there anything that benefits her as a U.S. Citizen to obtain one? She is an accountant in her upper 30s.

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I have a U.S. Citizen friend who is interested into moving to Canada. She is looking into several alternatives, from short summer programs to more definite work permits. I have two questions regarding that.

1. To get a work visa for a summer job in northern Ontario, what is the best way for her to go about it? Would the visa even be issued on time?

2. To get a long term work permit, is there anything that benefits her as a U.S. Citizen to obtain one? She is an accountant in her upper 30s.

Thank you
1. What type of job? Skilled? She would need an approved LMIA from the employer proving no one in Canada can be hired and has the experience to do the job. Then with LMIA, she applies for a work permit.
2. If she is an accountant, look at CUSMA professionals permits. See if she is eligible. She would need a job offer and meet CUSMA requirements for education and experience.

Maxelix

Dec 27, 2018
1. What type of job? Skilled? She would need an approved LMIA from the employer proving no one in Canada can be hired and has the experience to do the job. Then with LMIA, she applies for a work permit.
2. If she is an accountant, look at CUSMA professionals permits. See if she is eligible. She would need a job offer and meet CUSMA requirements for education and experience.
1. No, she would be planting trees. Of course, she would like to come with all legal requirements in order.
2. She is an accountant, and she has the requirements, but in this case, she would have to first get a job and then arrange her paperwork?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. No, she would be planting trees. Of course, she would like to come with all legal requirements in order.
2. She is an accountant, and she has the requirements, but in this case, she would have to first get a job and then arrange her paperwork?
1. So her employer needs to file for a LMIA proving no one in Canada can be hired. Then with LMIA file for closed work permit. Don’t think she will get it for this summer.
2. Read the CUSMA Professional requirements. She needs the job offer as an accountant first.

Reactions: Maxelix

Maxelix

Dec 27, 2018
1. So her employer needs to file for a LMIA proving no one in Canada can be hired. Then with LMIA file for closed work permit. Don’t think she will get it for this summer.
2. Read the CUSMA Professional requirements. She needs the job offer as an accountant first.
Got it! in case she does not want to be an accountant, then she would have to go through the LMIA process as everyone else, correct?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Got it! in case she does not want to be an accountant, then she would have to go through the LMIA process as everyone else, correct?
That is correct. CUSMA are for designated professionals. If she is CA/CPA or has a degree in accounting then she needs to get a job offer to apply through CUSMA.

For the LMIA, she needs to show her experience in the NOC/job too through ECA and work experience letters.

Maxelix

Dec 27, 2018
That is correct. CUSMA are for designated professionals. If she is CA/CPA or has a degree in accounting then she needs to get a job offer to apply through CUSMA.

For the LMIA, she needs to show her experience in the NOC/job too through ECA and work experience letters.
Thank you for your information. I think the legal framework is there for her to come, but the hardest part would be finding a job across the border. In her case, is it convenient to hire a lawyer or a representative to ease the process, or should she be focusing on finding an accounting job and do all the paperwork herself?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your information. I think the legal framework is there for her to come, but the hardest part would be finding a job across the border. In her case, is it convenient to hire a lawyer or a representative to ease the process, or should she be focusing on finding an accounting job and do all the paperwork herself?
A lawyer or consultant cannot help her find a job. Again read the CUSMA requirements because the process is fairly easy once she has the job offer. She can go to a border and try to get the work permit if she has an accounting job offer. Is she a CA? Or does she have an accounting degree? If degree, she needs an ECA. She can only work for that employer. Believe that job must be full-time and permanent but again read the requirements.

Maxelix

Dec 27, 2018
A lawyer or consultant cannot help her find a job. Again read the CUSMA requirements because the process is fairly easy once she has the job offer. She can go to a border and try to get the work permit if she has an accounting job offer. Is she a CA? Or does she have an accounting degree? If degree, she needs an ECA. She can only work for that employer. Believe that job must be full-time and permanent but again read the requirements.
I am not so certain about her qualifications but, at least I think this is a starting point. Hopefully later on she can jump into an open work permit to avoid those restrictions. Thank you for your help :)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am not so certain about her qualifications but, at least I think this is a starting point. Hopefully later on she can jump into an open work permit to avoid those restrictions. Thank you for your help :)
She cannot jump into an open work permit. She would not be eligible unless under very certain circumstances (eg. study permit)

Maxelix

Dec 27, 2018
She cannot jump into an open work permit. She would not be eligible unless under very certain circumstances (eg. study permit)
Well, one cannot have anything. CUSMA would be a great way for her to put her foot at the door and take it from there to PR in time.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Well, one cannot have anything. CUSMA would be a great way for her to put her foot at the door and take it from there to PR in time.
Is she eligible for Express Entry? If so what is her CRS score? It is based on age, education, work experience, language and funds. Working in Canada doesn’t guarantee PR. If she is a CA/CPA or has a degrees in accounting then she can get a job offer as an accountant. If not, she needs a LMIA.

Maxelix

Dec 27, 2018
Is she eligible for Express Entry? If so what is her CRS score? It is based on age, education, work experience, language and funds. Working in Canada doesn’t guarantee PR. If she is a CA/CPA or has a degrees in accounting then she can get a job offer as an accountant. If not, she needs a LMIA.
The CRS score is not quite there. But at least having a couple of years of work experience in Canada will help. And I think mostly, she wants to come above all. The rest can be done slowly