+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit received while waiting for PR card

Jess44

Mar 20, 2023
Hello, my husband and I applied for Spousal sponsorship in Canada Family class last year, December 2022, then a week after we applied for work permit extension by paper and mailed as my husbands' work permit expired last year (this was advised by a friend that works in an immigration office). We are a married couple living together in Canada while applying. We regularly check for any new updates with the application in the check application status profile account online and any new information/updates by email. Recently we received a letter (by email) that application for permanent residency is currently in process and new information in the profile for Confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) document number, expiry date (fall this year, 2023), Travel document number (my husbands' passport number) and Issuing country, in a day or 2, my husbands' medical exam information also showed document number and expiry date (also fall this year, 2023). For the Confirmation of permanent residency (COPR), my husband hasn't received it yet though it's only been about a week since the new information appeared in the profile account. About the letter that we received (by email) about pre-arrival services, I would like to know why this letter was received even though my husband is living in Canada?
After we received the letter mentioned above, a few days later we also received a letter (by email) about the work permit, that application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved and that the document will be mailed within 6 weeks. My husband has the same Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number for both applications. It mentions the type of work permit- Work permit- extension, validity (until March 2025), and document number. I would like to know if the work permit will only be valid until my husband receives his PR card?
Was it alright to apply for both Spousal sponsorship and work permit extension?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, my husband and I applied for Spousal sponsorship in Canada Family class last year, December 2022, then a week after we applied for work permit extension by paper and mailed as my husbands' work permit expired last year (this was advised by a friend that works in an immigration office). We are a married couple living together in Canada while applying. We regularly check for any new updates with the application in the check application status profile account online and any new information/updates by email. Recently we received a letter (by email) that application for permanent residency is currently in process and new information in the profile for Confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) document number, expiry date (fall this year, 2023), Travel document number (my husbands' passport number) and Issuing country, in a day or 2, my husbands' medical exam information also showed document number and expiry date (also fall this year, 2023). For the Confirmation of permanent residency (COPR), my husband hasn't received it yet though it's only been about a week since the new information appeared in the profile account. About the letter that we received (by email) about pre-arrival services, I would like to know why this letter was received even though my husband is living in Canada?
After we received the letter mentioned above, a few days later we also received a letter (by email) about the work permit, that application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved and that the document will be mailed within 6 weeks. My husband has the same Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number for both applications. It mentions the type of work permit- Work permit- extension, validity (until March 2025), and document number. I would like to know if the work permit will only be valid until my husband receives his PR card?
Was it alright to apply for both Spousal sponsorship and work permit extension?
UCI numbers are assigned to an individual and remain the same number for any and all applications. It is a Unique Client Identifier number.

I believe that an Inland applicant can ignore the pre-arrival emails/letters as it seems to be an automatically generated message all PR applicants, according to others posts.

When a person becomes a PR, there is no longer a need for any type of work permit.