+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit might expire while waiting on new marriage certificate

treadstone88

Sep 23, 2016
I'm in what seems to be a pretty unique situation, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice.
I've been in the Express Entry pool and recently got invited to apply under the CEC (Sep 7th)
However, I also married a Canadian citizen on Sep 10th, which makes my status married but I don't have the documentation to prove it (the Marriage certificate takes 3 weeks to arrive on average).
Here's the problem though: my current work permit (my third IEC Working Holiday) expires on Oct 5th. So I'm in a bit of a pickle, as the only 'proof' I have of my marriage is the non-legal certificate that the officiant gave us at the ceremony.
I'd really like to avoid leaving the country and my lovely wife while I wait to be approved, but I can't put my status as single or prove that I'm married or amend the application with the wedding certificate once it arrives.
Am I just screwed here? Or can I put in an application with an explanation of why I don't have a marriage certificate yet and hope they ask me for it later? Or can I apply to extend my working visa under these circumstances?
I'd really appreciate some advice or input if anyone has some.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
provide what you have (the non-legal certificate) with a letter of explanation that you will send the marriage certificate as soon as you receive it.

Is your wife a Canadian Citizen or PR? if yes, since she won't be a co-applicant, it is even less likely to be an issue.

After you submit your application and get your electronic receipt, you can apply for a BOWP. You must apply for the BOWP before your work permit expires (to be eligible for the BOWP). Technically there is no implied status for IEC work permits, so you should stop working until you get a response to your BOWP application, but your BOWP application cannot be processed until your application has been found complete and put into processing. But you can remain in Canada until you get a response to the BOWP application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

treadstone88

Sep 23, 2016
Thank you for this! Yes she's a Canadian citizen, so not a co-applicant at all.

I didn't think there was a way to send additional documentation after submitting CEC electronically? Will I just have to hope that they accept the explanation and request me to mail the marriage certificate?
Basically I'm worried that they may reject my application for missing documentation/incompleteness instead of asking me for proof, as that's what happened to my previous CEC application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
treadstone88 said:
Thank you for this! Yes she's a Canadian citizen, so not a co-applicant at all.

I didn't think there was a way to send additional documentation after submitting CEC electronically? Will I just have to hope that they accept the explanation and request me to mail the marriage certificate?

Ah, no, don't wait for them to request it. If there's no way to upload a document after you submit, you can send it to them via Case specific inquiry:
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Basically I'm worried that they may reject my application for missing documentation/incompleteness instead of asking me for proof, as that's what happened to my previous CEC application.

If you IGNORE the requirement to upload the a marriage certificate, it will be deemed incomplete. If you include an explanation (and in your case it is very reasonable), and follow up, then it should be accepted.

Your other choice is to wait until you receive the marriage certificate.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
If you got invited but didn't send the application yet:
Change your status to married in the application
Upload the temporary certificate, copy of the certificate request and a brief letter of explanation, everything in one PDF instead the marriage certificate (the letter should be the firts page). If your wife can sign the letter as well will be better, including her passport or birth certificate

Where asked about family said your wife is not accompanying because she's Canadian citizen include her passport copy)

Apply for BOWP as soon you send your application, before your current WP expires.