+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit for Inland Spousal Lack of Status

kmen

May 11, 2018
Hi,

Just want to ask if anyone knows if its possible to apply a temporary resident status for my spouse to able to apply for work permit while sposal PR application is in process?

Waiting for principal approval in principle might take years now as inland applications is not priority compare to outland. Is there a chance to apply work permit if his under lack of status at the moment.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Just want to ask if anyone knows if its possible to apply a temporary resident status for my spouse to able to apply for work permit while sposal PR application is in process?

Waiting for principal approval in principle might take years now as inland applications is not priority compare to outland. Is there a chance to apply work permit if his under lack of status at the moment.

You can apply for an OWP but it will only be granted when he gets AIP which is usually a month or two before approval. If he overstayed after being refused entry and given approval to stay a few days for compassionate reasons applying for sponsorship may result in CBSA contacting him because he has a removal order.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

To qualify for an OWP under the spousal sponsorship application, he has to wait until AIP. There's no other option available unfortunately.

Depending on the circumstances of your situation, he could try applying for a TRP. If the TRP is approved, then he would qualify for an OWP. Note that TRP processing times are also quite long right now and I'm not sure if there's any added risk with a TRP application (i.e. put him more on IRCC's radar).