+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit extension options?

Jumpilot69

Oct 16, 2018
I only got a 18 month PGWP that started in March this year. I did flight training in Victoria, BC and now I'm working as a skydiver pilot in Campbell River, BC since April this year. I have only worked 200 hours, basically I flew 200 hours. So my work permit expires September 2019 and I can see that even if I got a better job which I'm about to and fly more often, I still wound not be able to reach 1560 hours of work experience by September next year. I came to Canada initially in 2013 to study English for 11 weeks then I returned in 2014 for 5 months to get my Private Pilot licence. Came back again in June 2016 to finish my training and get my Commercial Licence and I'm here ever since. I have Bachelor Degree of 3 years in Brazil.

What are my options to become a PR? I don't see LMIA working for me as any aircraft operator in Canada can easily hire a Canadian to fly. I'm considering going back home to build real working experience for the airlines there and try to come back to Canada. Takes too long to progress as a pilot in Canada but I love this Country so I'm willing to do what it takes to stay.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I only got a 18 month PGWP that started in March this year. I did flight training in Victoria, BC and now I'm working as a skydiver pilot in Campbell River, BC since April this year. I have only worked 200 hours, basically I flew 200 hours.

Flight hours and duty hours are different, and include pre- and post-flight work. Make sure you are counting all the hours actually worked (regardless of whether you are in the sky). If you only get paid for time in the air, you should have a discussion with your employer about expected pre- and post-flight time that should be accounted for in the letter of employment.

I realize it might not make enough of a difference in your case, but something to think about.

So my work permit expires September 2019 and I can see that even if I got a better job which I'm about to and fly more often, I still wound not be able to reach 1560 hours of work experience by September next year. I came to Canada initially in 2013 to study English for 11 weeks then I returned in 2014 for 5 months to get my Private Pilot licence. Came back again in June 2016 to finish my training and get my Commercial Licence and I'm here ever since. I have Bachelor Degree of 3 years in Brazil.

What are my options to become a PR?
Get another job? Even if it's not flying, and perhaps you could still fly part-time.

Jumpilot69

Oct 16, 2018
Yes, I only get paid by the load of skydivers so basically when the aircraft engine is running I'm getting paid. Yes, I also do some duty hours related to flying but I don't get paid for that. Do you think I can still count the duty hours towards my 1560 hours even though I never got paid for it? I have a lot of duty hours to be honest.

I have to work as a pilot which is skill level 2 in the NOC. http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2271&ver=16