+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit expiring

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello experts

I am on a PGWP and my spouse on SOWP in Canada and currently in EE pool. Both work permits are expiring in Jan 15, 2024.
What are our options to remain in Canada preferably as a worker? My thoughts are as follows:
1. I can wait till last week before permit expires to see if there is any hope of ITA so i can quickly submit EE application, get AOR and apply for BOWP. I have some confusion with this:
i. I am not sure if i can apply for BOWP even one day before my work permit expires or if i have to apply at least 30 days before expiry.​
ii. After AOR i know i can apply for BOWP but is my spouse eligible for BOWP as well? or i will have to apply for SOWP extension based on my BOWP AOR?​
iii. I was suggested previously to apply for BOWP without AOR and then upload it via web form after since BOWP processing take some time. Is that right?​
2. I can apply for a visitor visa. Again, I am not sure if i can apply even one day before my work permit expires or if i have to apply at least 30 days before expiry?
3. Visitor record. I am not too sure about it. Can anyone explains if i am eligible for it?
4. Closed work permit. Based on the current market trend and the short time i have, I don't think that's an option for me.

Can anyone please guide me on this? Do i have any other option? Whats the best way forward?
Thank you

Mihirakula

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
You must apply for BOWP before your work permit expires, it does not matter if it's 1 day before or 30 days before. Until last year, it was not allowed to apply for BOWP until you had 3 months left in your work permit, but now you can apply anytime as long as your work permit is valid.

If your work permit expires, you need to apply to restore your status before you can apply for BOWP

Keep in mind that you will qualify for BOWP only after your PR application passes the R10 phase. R10 is the initial phase where the case officer checks and confirms that your application package is complete and ready for processing. It may take a few months from your AOR date to pass this phase. Getting an AOR itself does not qualify you for BOWP. Given your situation, I guess it wouldn't hurt to submit the BOWP application first and send your AOR through a webform once you're ready.

Your spouse will qualify for BOWP as well. You need to add your spouse to your BOWP application.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
You must apply for BOWP before your work permit expires, it does not matter if it's 1 day before or 30 days before. Until last year, it was not allowed to apply for BOWP until you had 3 months left in your work permit, but now you can apply anytime as long as your work permit is valid.

If your work permit expires, you need to apply to restore your status before you can apply for BOWP

Keep in mind that you will qualify for BOWP only after your PR application passes the R10 phase. R10 is the initial phase where the case officer checks and confirms that your application package is complete and ready for processing. It may take a few months from your AOR date to pass this phase. Getting an AOR itself does not qualify you for BOWP. Given your situation, I guess it wouldn't hurt to submit the BOWP application first and send your AOR through a webform once you're ready.

Your spouse will qualify for BOWP as well. You need to add your spouse to your BOWP application.
Thank you! Will i use my GC key account to add my spouse in the BOWP application as well? My spouse in on SOWP.
Also, will i not be on implied status after i apply for BOWP near my PGWP expiry? I read it somewhere that implied status is not valid for permits that can't be extended. I thought anyone is on implied status after their temporary status expires and their extension/another application is in process.

Mihirakula

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
Thank you! Will i use my GC key account to add my spouse in the BOWP application as well? My spouse in on SOWP.
Also, will i not be on implied status after i apply for BOWP near my PGWP expiry? I read it somewhere that implied status is not valid for permits that can't be extended. I thought anyone is on implied status after their temporary status expires and their extension/another application is in process.
Yes you can apply from your GC key account. When you fill out the questionnaire for the BOWP application, it will ask you if you want to add your spouse to your application. When you submit the application, you will see your spouse's application in your GC Key Portal.

If your PGWP expires before your BOWP gets approved you will be on implied status. The implied status is tied to your BOWP application, which is tied to your PR application, so even if it's true that implied status is not valid for permits that can not be extended, that is clearly not the case for BOWP applications.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Yes you can apply from your GC key account. When you fill out the questionnaire for the BOWP application, it will ask you if you want to add your spouse to your application. When you submit the application, you will see your spouse's application in your GC Key Portal.

If your PGWP expires before your BOWP gets approved you will be on implied status. The implied status is tied to your BOWP application, which is tied to your PR application, so even if it's true that implied status is not valid for permits that can not be extended, that is clearly not the case for BOWP applications.
Thank you! My spouse is currently on SOWP and i am on PGWP. I have applied for my EE application only due to a lower score. Can i still add my spouse to my BOWP application?

kjgee

Jan 17, 2024
Hi there, may I know what path did you take? did you apply for visitor record to maintain status?

Fkama027

Aug 7, 2023
Hello…please I need help with my situation. My PGWP is expiring on 30th June 2024, however, I am in EE pool with the points of 511. I am hoping I will qualify for ITA in a couple of more draws. My concerns has to do with that, I have worked as a crane operator for 2 years in my previous job and am currently 1 year 3 months in my new job in the NOC code of community and social service. I used to work as causal in my new job but moved to full time temporary. In my new job, I have not accumulated the 1560 hour but am on 1058 hour so far. In my EE I used both jobs as my experience.
1. Should I get ITA, will the work hours affect my application?
2.what should I consider as option in terms of plans, should my Permit expires and I still don’t get invited.
3. Will getting letters from both jobs help me in my application process, even though I know I will still have to provide them.

Thanks everyone and I really need a response, because I am currently not at ease with my self.

Cin Sun

Mar 22, 2024

Hi, in your message, are you suggesting that having only the AOR is insufficient for BOWP approval? I remember from the IRCC official website that they only required the AOR. Isn't it? Thanks!