+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work History - wrong NOC code after ITA.

Aljaz

Oct 28, 2012
Hi,

I have a question regarding to work history that I have written while applying into express entry pool. My girlfriend is a principal applicant and I am her spouse applicant.

We were invited to apply under Canadian Experience Class with 476 points. We were invited into pool on January 25, 2017. Minimum on that day was 453 points.

I have a question regarding to my work experience in Canada. We got 7 points for that. So as a spouse I got points for 2 years of experience.

When I came to Canada, my first temporary work for 2 months was at one Iron Works Shop where I was a helper.

When filling forms for Work history I choose NOC 7236 - Ironworker. Job title - Ironworker.

As I can see in description of the occupation in NOC classification you need at least 3 years of experience to gain that title. I don’t have any of that, I am worried that under Job title I did not write Ironworker helper. Or now I think that better option it would be to choose NOC code 7612 – Other trades helpers and labourers.

But, there are other descriptions of that occupation that might fit in with my actual work. For example: Ironworker apprentice. As I understand apprentice you have to be in school to be apprentice. So I was ironworker helper. But other thing is that description at filling in a work history says, that apprentice work should not be entered.

I am concerned that immigration officer would take it as misrepresentation.

Now I am wondering what would be the best option to do.

1. Should I explain that I should not have this Canadian work experience to be considered in explanation letter? We would loose 2 points, but we would still be above the minimum criteria of 453 points which was needed to get ITA on January 25, 2017. Or anyways officer would not be happy with that?

2. When we login into our MyCic we still have an option to modify. Is this good or bad idea to modify work history after receiving an ITA?

3. If this would lead to misrepresentation maybe declining this invitation and apply again into pool would be the best. There is a risk of not receiving enough points at the next draft…

The thing is that to be ironworker you need 3 years of experience in this occupation, which I dont. I dont mind loosing 2 points, but i do mind if that could lead to misrepresentation.

Please let me know what do you think about this situation. I hope it is written clearly enough to understand.

Best regards

Nick1987

Mar 17, 2016
I thought It couldn't be misrepresenting but it may lead to your application to be refused due to your experiences under CEC. Normally most of the skill trade jobs (starting with 7,8,9) need certificates or the experiences will not be counted.
But if you go under FSW, this may be a misrepresentation.

Aljaz

Oct 28, 2012
Thanks.

So which of the three options would be the best to do now, when we did not submit the papers yet?

Now I am wondering what would be the best option to do.

1. Should I explain that I should not have this Canadian work experience to be considered in explanation letter? We would loose 2 points, but we would still be above the minimum criteria of 453 points which was needed to get ITA on January 25, 2017. Or anyways officer would not be happy with that?

2. When we login into our MyCic we still have an option to modify. Is this good or bad idea to modify work history after receiving an ITA?

3. If this would lead to misrepresentation maybe declining this invitation and apply again into pool would be the best. There is a risk of not receiving enough points at the next draft…

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Aljaz said:
When I came to Canada, my first temporary work for 2 months was at one Iron Works Shop where I was a helper.
When filling forms for Work history I choose NOC 7236 - Ironworker. Job title - Ironworker.

As I can see in description of the occupation in NOC classification you need at least 3 years of experience to gain that title. I don’t have any of that, I am worried that under Job title I did not write Ironworker helper. Or now I think that better option it would be to choose NOC code 7612 – Other trades helpers and labourers.

1) "Years of experience" is the requirement for trade certification, not to do the job.
2) Trade certification is MANDATORY in Alberta. If you worked in Alberta and do not have trade certification, it would be illegal to do this job. Any other province, it is not mandatory to be certified.
You have to be honest with yourself - were you the tradesman, or were you helping the tradesman? Pick the NOC based on job duties and responsibilities. (Except in Alberta, where you cannot be the tradesman).
3) Other NOCs that you should also check are 7235 (eligible) and 9416 (not eligible).

I am concerned that immigration officer would take it as misrepresentation.

No, it is (probably) an error on the selection of the NOC code. Happens ALL THE TIME : ) Misrepresentation is deliberately lying or cheating in order to gain advantage, and in this case, there is no real advantage.

You can upload a brief letter of explanation, saying that you think you chose the wrong NOC Code and that the correct NOC is unskilled and therefore not eligible. That is the only thing you need to do. The loss of 2 points is not going to affect your overall eligibility.

This will not lead to a charge of misrepresentation, there is no need to decline.