+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work for a US company remotely on Canada closed work permit

alal123

Star Member
Dec 20, 2021
Hi,
Can someone please let me know if I can work remotely for a US employer if I am in Canada on a closed work permit? My PR and bridging open work permit is in processing and my closed work permit expires end of Jan 2023. I lost my job in Canada on a closed work permit towards the end of Aug 2022. I have also applied for a TRV (visitor visa) from inside Canada and its in processing.

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
Can someone please let me know if I can work remotely for a US employer if I am in Canada on a closed work permit? My PR and bridging open work permit is in processing and my closed work permit expires end of Jan 2023. I lost my job in Canada on a closed work permit towards the end of Aug 2022. I have also applied for a TRV (visitor visa) from inside Canada and its in processing.

Thanks
As long as your employer has no offices, business and clients in Canada.

alal123

Star Member
Dec 20, 2021
they dont have any offices in Canada. I was just concerned since I am on implied status in Canada. And Canadian immigration won't allow me to work for any company in Canada without them sponsoring me as I need to fulfill original conditions of the workpermit under implied status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks
Are you legally able to work for the US employer? Are you a US citizen or have H1B? How will they be paying you? Employed by the company, working as a contractor, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
they dont have any offices in Canada. I was just concerned since I am on implied status in Canada. And Canadian immigration won't allow me to work for any company in Canada without them sponsoring me as I need to fulfill original conditions of the workpermit under implied status.
If you are on implied status you can’t work for the US company unless you can legally work in the US. If you were a visitor the rules would be different. Once on an OWP you can work for them.

alal123

Star Member
Dec 20, 2021
I have an H1b visa for US. They will be paying in USD. I am directly employed by the company. I have also applied for a Canadian visitor visa ( TRV) from Inside Canada which is in processing. Kindly let me know about both implied and visitor status if I can work for US company and what the difference in rules would be?