+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience under OWP for Canadian Experience Class

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
I am doing my Ph.D. at the Canadian University. Because I am on a study permit, my wife has an Open Work Permit. She has more than 1 year of work experience in Canada. The question is: does work experience under the OPEN WORK PERMIT will be considered for Canadian Experience Class immigration stream? Thank you!

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
if it's full time job in Canada , I don't see why not . you can look into CEC or PNP program I would suggest.

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Yes she has more than 1 year of full time work experience. Alberta PNP told us, that work experience on OPEN WORK PERMIT cannot be considered, which is unfair.

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019
Yes she has more than 1 year of full time work experience. Alberta PNP told us, that work experience on OPEN WORK PERMIT cannot be considered, which is unfair.
How they told you ?
Can you post if they have provided you any letters or email inquiries ?

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
well , I am not familiar with the PNP policy for Alberta , but if it's for BC I can tell you for sure that's a load of horse crap . full time work experience is full time work experience , I don't see any difference regarding what type of work permit you got the experience with .

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019
Anywhere in Canada, work experience under open work permit counts as valid, so you are free to apply PNP or CEC ..Don't fall under rumors.

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
We made a call to them, and they told us that we cannot apply.

From Alberta Opportunity site:

At the time your application is postmarked and at the time the AINP assesses your application, you must have a valid work permit (not implied status or restoration status) for an eligible occupation. Valid work permits are based on one of the following:

• a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • a LMIA exemption for workers based on one of the following exemptions as determine by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC):
    • international trade agreements
    • workers transferred within a company
    • International Experience Canada
    • Mobilité Francophone
  • Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holder
Probably because an Open Work Permit does not fall in any of this categories we cannot apply. It means, if you have many years of work experience in any NOC on Open Work Permit, you cannot immigrate to Alberta. In other words, your work experience is nothing.

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019
We made a call to them, and they told us that we cannot apply.

From Alberta Opportunity site:

At the time your application is postmarked and at the time the AINP assesses your application, you must have a valid work permit (not implied status or restoration status) for an eligible occupation. Valid work permits are based on one of the following:

• a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • a LMIA exemption for workers based on one of the following exemptions as determine by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC):
    • international trade agreements
    • workers transferred within a company
    • International Experience Canada
    • Mobilité Francophone
  • Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) holder
Probably because an Open Work Permit does not fall in any of this categories we cannot apply. It means, if you have many years of work experience in any NOC on Open Work Permit, you cannot immigrate to Alberta. In other words, your work experience is nothing.
For example : PGWP holder is also open work permit. So you are free to go !!

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019
[
Yes it is, but if you just have OWP and do not have PGWP. you are not eligible to apply.
Hey man. it doesn't matter, OWP and PGWP it's same. if you are so confused to do urself. I suggest you to apply via
Canadian Immigration Consultancy.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I am doing my Ph.D. at the Canadian University. Because I am on a study permit, my wife has an Open Work Permit. She has more than 1 year of work experience in Canada. The question is: does work experience under the OPEN WORK PERMIT will be considered for Canadian Experience Class immigration stream? Thank you!
Yes, your wife's experience would be accepted under the CEC class.

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Thanks everyone. I will make a call one more time about Alberta PNP program, and will consider also CEC.