+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience confusion

Raman_Ram

Star Member
May 25, 2009
Hello Friends,
I pursued two years MS in engineering at Western. I have a letter from the payroll outlining my Research Assistantship hours and teaching assitantship hours totaling around 4485, with a breakdown given for each term, number of hours and salary. After which I have 3 more months of managerial experience.
My question is do they accept RA and TA hours since it is officially outlined and given to me in a letter by the the Director of Financial Services of my University?

Please lemme know if anyone can answer this or got their visa under similar conditions.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
am not sure if you are familiar with the CEC category anyway, are you applying as a graduate student or foriegn worker! i assume foriegn worker based on the number of working hours you mentioned above.

returning to your point , you need at first to know the NOC for your work experience because they accept experience that falls under level 0 or A or B in the national occupational classification.

your work experience as you stated above; "Post-Secondary Teaching and Research Assistants" falls under level "A" NOC code "4122"

secondly : Full-time work means “Full-time work” is defined as requiring at least 37.5 hours of work per week. For the Canadian Experience Class full-time equivalence, or 1,950 hours of paid employment in one year will also be considered."

if your work experience meets the above requirments, you are eligible to apply but you have to take in your consideration that if you apply as a graduate student or foriegn worker because you will need 12 months experience along with the education requirments as a graduate student and 24 as a foriegn worker without education requirments.

thirdly: your main responsibilites must match the job description on the noc for your job title :

as in the following link :

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4122&val65=teaching

Raman_Ram

Star Member
May 25, 2009
no i do have only 6 months after graduation, however i know all of my friends got their FSW class approved with nil industrial work experience and just based on their TA and RA hours.
The question here is I want to apply under CEC- post sec student class. will it hold water?

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
all of the above information belong to the CEC category.

from what i understand now that you want to apply under the cec !! and you are a graduate student from canada and hold a post graduation work permit !

in such a situation, i assume that you understand the minimum requirments for graduate students :

you have finished at least 2 years of study in a post secondary educational institution in canada as a full time student with a valid study permit.

you have at least one year of experience 12 months legally under level 0 OR A OR B in NOC with a valid work permit.

you still have a legal temporary status in canada at the time of making your application and the time of processing the application. (that is if you would like to apply in Buffalo NY).

and you have only 6 months experience after graduation ! therefore, you are not eligible yet to apply under the CEC category, you have to wait for another 6 months if you wish to do so.