+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience admissability - Carpenter

Tom45

Jun 20, 2014
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and just have a few questions regarding my situation. And help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning to apply for PR via CEC at the end of the year. I have approximately 8 months of work experience as a ski instructor, and am working on making up the difference working as a carpenter from May until November this year. (I can't find the NOC codes right now but know both job titles are skill level B)

But now I am doubting if my work as a carpenter will be seen as acceptable. This is because my only previous experience is 10 months in a carpentry apprenticeship back home. My current employer has said he is employing me as a carpenter, not a labourer, and has already written me a letter for BC healthcare stating as much. But I can't sign up for an apprenticeship in Canada until I have my PR.

Basically, I'm wondering if I am wasting my time or not. The information from the NOC website seems to suggest not. But I am seriously doubting if the immigration officer will approve a CEC application when I only have 10 months previous experience, no matter what my boss writes in a letter.

Thanks for the help.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
NOC 7271

According to the NOC, "Trade certification for carpenters is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories." Since it is not mandatory in BC, your experience should be accepted.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/english/NOC/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=7271

rodrigochi89

Jul 2, 2012
Hey Tom, in which province do you live?? I'm living in BC. I currently work as a ''carpenter apprentice''. I work with an open work permit. And I registered my apprenticeship with the ITA (Industry Training Authority). I was given a registration number and now I'm allowed to take apprentice courses/training.

Why did you state that you cant sign in an apprenticeship in Canada without having a permanent resident status? Have you asked to the trade authority in your province?

At first I also thought that I was not going to be admitted, but in the end, they did admit me.