+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

withdrawing my citizenship application

asemanhaftom

Sep 11, 2013
Hi,
September 10- 2013 I appeared for my citizenship test( I applied January 2012). The test was really easy. If you read the book word by word only once and do some online tests, there is nothing to worry about. I was able to answer 19 correct out of 20 and I started to read a week before the test. Then when I was being interviewed I was told I needed to fill out the Residence Questionnaire and send them a million documents in 45 days and that was because I didn't have my expired passport and also because I am a us citizen too. Any ways I am withdrawing my application, I've heard from you and other friends that it'll take for ever for the questionnaire to be processed. I thought after withdrawing my application I would renew my PR card and join my husband who works in the US and whenever we decide to live in Canada which is our goal for the future, after being sure that I am eligible for Canadian citizenship I will reapply. My question is
- to withdraw my application, do I need to have a reason?
- If yes, what would be the best reason to give them so when I reapply in the future I wouldn't get in trouble?
- on the withdrawal form it says : they won't do any action after withdrawing. does that mean they will close it for ever and won't go back to it in the future? will they keep the previous application in my records and go back to see why I closed it?
I really appreciate for sharing your experiences about this issue.

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question for you: What will be your benefit of withdrawing the application after such a long time when you are so close to achieve the Citizenship?

My suggestion is to fulfill the RQ and leave for USA with having a Canadian address so that you know and respond to any communication from CIC fast. Since you fulfilled the Citizenship requirements, CIC will have to approve your application sooner or later.

asemanhaftom said:
Hi,
September 10- 2013 I appeared for my citizenship test( I applied January 2012). The test was really easy. If you read the book word by word only once and do some online tests, there is nothing to worry about. I was able to answer 19 correct out of 20 and I started to read a week before the test. Then when I was being interviewed I was told I needed to fill out the Residence Questionnaire and send them a million documents in 45 days and that was because I didn't have my expired passport and also because I am a us citizen too. Any ways I am withdrawing my application, I've heard from you and other friends that it'll take for ever for the questionnaire to be processed. I thought after withdrawing my application I would renew my PR card and join my husband who works in the US and whenever we decide to live in Canada which is our goal for the future, after being sure that I am eligible for Canadian citizenship I will reapply. My question is
- If yes, what would be the best reason to give them so when I reapply in the future I wouldn't get in trouble?
- on the withdrawal form it says : they won't do any action after withdrawing. does that mean they will close it for ever and won't go back to it in the future? will they keep the previous application in my records and go back to see why I closed it?
I really appreciate for sharing your experiences about this issue.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asemanhaftom said:
I've heard from you and other friends that it'll take for ever for the questionnaire to be processed.
It takes 35 months from the date they receive your application "as per their website". You have already been waiting that long, so 2 more years wont be an issue to wait.

Remember that withdrawal of an application is a reason by itself to trigger a new RQ in the future.

asemanhaftom said:
I thought after withdrawing my application I would renew my PR card and join my husband who works in the US and whenever we decide to live in Canada which is our goal for the future, after being sure that I am eligible for Canadian citizenship I will reapply.
Don't forget that you need to meet the residence requirements in the future in order for you to maintain your PR status.

This actually sounds like a solid reason for them in the future to issue a new RQ to you, as it is gonna show that your ties in Canada are very weak.

asemanhaftom said:
No you don't, it is up to you whether you choose to be Canadian citizen or not. However, they will look at the reason of this withdrawal in any future citizenship application for you.

asemanhaftom said:

There is no "best reason". They will most likely issue another RQ in the future.

asemanhaftom said:
after withdrawing:

does that mean they will close it for ever and won't go back to it in the future?
They will get back to it and to every single record belongs to you on their system when they start processing your application again. It is a part of the background check.

asemanhaftom said:
will they keep the previous application in my records and go back to see why I closed it?
Yes, it will be kept there, and they will get back to it whenever needed.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you didn't actually have the 1095 days of physical presence in Canada, than definitely you should withdraw and reapply at a later date when you have the days and also have the ability to prove them.

If you did finish the 1095 days you shouldn't withdraw your application because there is no advantage in doing so. Any future case will likely take just as long or longer to process, due to your previous RQ and previous withdrawal. The intervening years will provide more challenges for maintaining and proving your PR in Canada, given your life in the US.

asemanhaftom

Sep 11, 2013
Thanks for the answers. The thing is that I've lost my expired passport which has the Canadian immigration visa and I had only one trip ( one stamp) on it. The renewed one doesn't have any stamps. With my American passport I have only one stamp from Europe. Holding American passport itself and using it between Canada and the US for I don't even remember how many times and how long exactly I've lived in the US every time could be a problem. They also made me sign a paper to allow them check the borders. Because my husband lives and works in the US and also my son was born in the US I think any documents showing I've lived in Canada won't be enough to save my PR. Although my son was born in the US, because his father was a Canadian automatically he became a Canadian too. I don't think I will win this case that's why I'm withdrawing my application. my plan is whenever my husband decides to work in Canada I'll wait for (4 years I believe) to settle down completely and make sure I meet residency in Canada and then reapply for the citizenship. This way when they go back to 4 years before I apply they wouldn't need my expired passport and I will have every documents ready to prove my residency during that 4 years. Meanwhile I will survive with my PR card and really won't need Canadian passport because of having US passport. This time I regret that I acted hastily without considering most the details, next time I will apply prepared with every details. I am withdrawing because the way the jug acted showed there is little hope. She wouldn't even answer my questions about RQ form and wanted to get rid of me immediately with a fake smile on her face. I can't stand living in doubt and waiting a long time for a no answer. I'd rather close the case and live in peace for a while and give myself and my family a break and reunite with my husband and as soon as I do that we are planning to announce to Canadian government formally that we are out of Canada and consider whatever is required to make it legal. I'm living at the present and I don't want to ruin it with what ifs anymore. I have my US passport and why should I be so greedy to have Canadian passport too when I see so many of other people are struggling for only Canadian one? Right? please say something to make me feel better! Thanks again for listening to my story.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
Yes I agree why should you be greedy, you are just waiting on this so that you can leave from Canada that makes no sense, you should reunite with your husband which i believe is more important then this and reapply when you do decide to live in Canada.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asemanhaftom said:
I have my US passport and why should I be so greedy to have Canadian passport too when I see so many of other people are struggling for only Canadian one? Right? please say something to make me feel better! Thanks again for listening to my story.
Actually the paranoia that these immigration officials, judges and bureaucrats get when they see an applicant who travels continuously overseas is quite overwhelming. While their own discover Canada guide states one of the privileges of being a Canadian is one can enter and leave Canada as one wishes, their interpretation of the law seem to be different.
To each her own, while no one can suggest if your decision is entirely right or wrong, the kind of reason that you have behind this decision will go a long way and, in my opinion, will never hurt you with guilt. I would say the reason behind this decision is well thought out and if I were you I wont have any guilt over a decision that has been so thought out. Hopefully the stage at Canadian immigration changes to a more friendly tone. I wish you all the best.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
People who withdraw their applications after receiving an RQ contribute to the problem -- I am certain that CIC will count the original poster's withdrawal as a success, showing that their algorithm for assigning RQs is correct. And it might be, she hasn't said that she has 1095 days within Canada.

shahcanada

Nov 22, 2016
Hi There,
I read through your story and I realised that I have a similar case right now with CIC and I was wondering to see if you can tell me weather or not you withdraw from your citizenship application and were you able to renew your PR card after that. I really appreciate if you can reply to me as soon as possible for you.
thx

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Shah
It is very old topic & member was last login in 2014 so possibly you will not get the answer from him but usually when you withdraw & reapply then chances of again delay are very much on higher side .Many people on this forum easily renewed their PR card during delayed citizenship procedure. Regards

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
CanuckForEver said:
Actually the paranoia that these immigration officials, judges and bureaucrats get when they see an applicant who travels continuously overseas is quite overwhelming. While their own discover Canada guide states one of the privileges of being a Canadian is one can enter and leave Canada as one wishes, their interpretation of the law seem to be different.
That's because residence cheats have ruined it for others. Once bitten, twice shy. The Canadian passport isn't supposed to be just handed out at the airport to people who want one for travel convenience. Becoming a Canadian means you're part of the family, and you're supposed to "get" and "understand" Canada, and the way you do that is by actually living here. Not just jaunting off to the Bahamas for 6 months of the year, or getting PR and flying back to Dubai to work for 4 years.

Reactions: sarahsbanks

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
shahcanada said:
Hi There,
I read through your story and I realized that I have a similar case right now with CIC and I was wondering to see if you can tell me whether or not you withdraw from your citizenship application and were you able to renew your PR card after that. I really appreciate if you can reply to me as soon as possible for you.
thx
If the application is For CJ hearing 99% chances are it is due to " physical residence " has not been met. Let's not get into the details how, when, where and circumstances etc. The bottom Line is the physical residence of 1095 days is doubtful. The officer does not want to take chance as the new rule is 1460 days so doubtful cases are referred for CJ hearing. If anyone scheduled for CJ hearing, its delayed due to lack of the number of judges and the huge queue. Statistics show it is 2-3 years minimum waiting period. Its advisable in such case to withdraw and reapply if the new requirement of the 1460+ number of days is fulfilled.

Withdrawal of old file and new application DOES NOT DELAY YOUR NEW FILE SINCE YOU MET THE NEW RESIDENCE. BEFORE THE OFFICER CAN PASS ON THE FILE TO SOMEONE ELSE SUCH AS JUDGE FOR DECISION-MAKING SO THE DELAY; IN NEW RULE THE FILE HAS TO BE COMPLETED BY THE SAME OFFICER SO NO DELAY. IF ANY QUESTION THE OFFICER WILL ASK THE CANDIDATE AND MAKE DECISION AS SINGLE TIER.

IF YOU SUBMIT ALL THE DOCS WHAT WERE ASKED PREVIOUSLY IN THE OLD APPLICATION WHILE RQ ETC.; YOU WILL NOT GET DELAYED FOR SURE AS THE OFFICER HAS GOT ALL THE DOCS HANDY AND YOU HAVEN'T GIVEN CHANCE FOR THEM TO ASK ANYTHING. NOW, QUESTION IS WHETHER THE OLD APPLICATION IS REFERRED BY THE OFFICER. YES AS I UNDERSTAND AND KNOW, THE OLD APPLICATION IS REFERRED BUT NOT SEEN SERIOUSLY AS THE NEW APPLICATION SUPERSEDES ALL THE PREVIOUS ONES UNLES IF THERE WERE SOME SERIOUS LAPSES. BUT STILL THE NEW SUPERSEDES.

IN THAT CASE, DECISION IS YOURS- WAIT FOR CJ HEARING WITH NO INDICATION OF TIME LIMIT OF 2-3 YEARS AT ALL ABOUT TIME FRAME. 100% UNCERTAINTY WITH NO SURE OUTCOME. OR THE OTHER ALTERNATIVE- REAPPLY AND REDUCE THE TIME FRAME FOR YOUR SELF. NOWADAYS STATISTICS SHOW IT IS 5-6 MONTHS OF MAX. 12 MONTHS.
TAKE WISE DECISION AFTER GAUGING THE POSSIBILITIES.

THANK YOU.

Gallant555

Star Member
Aug 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Nov1,2010
Med's Done....
Nov8,2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 14,2011
VISA ISSUED...
June9,2011
LANDED..........
June17,2011
Hi asemanhaftom,
I totally support your decision to withdraw the application after reading your post.
Exports has offered Million dollar advice regarding re-applying.
Good Luck!