+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawing Course

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Hi,
I had withdrawn from my September Intake (FALL) program at Fanshawe college which was an intensive IT course as the program was not fit for me and the courses were really difficult. Now I am on the process of getting admission for a course with less workload for the January 2019 Winter Intake.

As I understand, since I am not enrolled as a student I can't work till my classes start in January.

Now my current plan is to take 1 more program in September 2019/January 2020 and complete that program by April 2020/August 2020, depending upon whether I take a break or not.

So the earliest I will be able to apply for my PGWP will be April 2020/August 2020. During that time when I apply for PGWP, does the gap I created by dropping my course right now, like for 2 months till my new program starts in January, is gonna affect my PGWP in any way? Is there anything I should do right now so that later when I apply for PGWP, I won't face any difficulties in getting it issued.

Thank you

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
There is a risk of losing your SP remember you are supposed to be a full time student if you are on a study permit, so you are not meeting the conditions of your permit. A lot depends on if/how your school reported your withdrawal to IRCC, dont know how harshly they enforce this for a 2 month gap. You could also petentially face difficulty in extending your SP if you are asked to account for these empty months. Its difficult to know for sure as I dont think there is any way to check these things.

Other than that if you dont want any credit for this dropped course and are starting fresh in January I dont think there is any issue on the PGWP side.

Reactions: rogertoland

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
If the admission to the next program starting in January is confirmed by college and the fees are deposited, do I still be at the risk of losing Study Permit?
-How does this reporting happen? Does the school automatically report that I have withdrawn from the current program and rejoined for another program in the next intake?
-Is it okay if I take driving license during this time- like G2 or G license? Like do I have to totally refrain from doing anything?
-Can I volunteer or participate in activities or training programs or charity works that are unpaid?
-Are there any possible solutions/suggestions to account for the 2 months so that later it won't be an issue?

Jbrar1

Feb 1, 2024
Hi rogertoland,
Did you gey the PGWP
I am facing the similar issue as you were facing
Can you please send me your number
This is my Canadian number please call 6476432099