+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Windsor-Detroit Commute Experience on H-1B

CanadianInWaiting

Feb 23, 2022
I started commuting recently with an soon to expire H1B visa stamp + new I-797 for amended petition. On the first trip, I was asked to park the car and go inside the office to get the I-94 from I-797 stapled and stamped to the passport (up to validity of I-797). On the subsequent trips so far, only one or two questions about where was I going and surprisingly also a light joke from the officer this morning. I would be happy to answer any questions for those who are looking to commute in the future. On the return trip, remember ArriveCAN.

aryastark940

Aug 25, 2022
My H1b stamp is already expired in Jan 2022 and a new I-797 A will be received with validity 09/2025. would that be a problem for me? also is the bottom part of i797 is my i-94? or is it a separate form?

Also, have you figured out the housing in Windsor? I'm still in the US, moving for a new job in Detroit by October, so planning to move to Windsor in 1st / 2nd week of October.

CanadianInWaiting

Feb 23, 2022
My H1b stamp is already expired in Jan 2022 and a new I-797 A will be received with validity 09/2025. would that be a problem for me? also is the bottom part of i797 is my i-94? or is it a separate form?

Also, have you figured out the housing in Windsor? I'm still in the US, moving for a new job in Detroit by October, so planning to move to Windsor in 1st / 2nd week of October.
I don't think expired visa stamp is going to be a problem to travel to Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days. So, even if you move to Windsor and start commuting to Detroit, you should be able to use AVR based on expired visa stamp and approved I-797.

The bottom part is the I-94. If the application was extension, you might notice that it would be the same as your previous I-94 (it was in my case). When you go to Detroit for the first time from Windsor, they will stamp your passport with and either write a new I-94 # or write the same I-94# (or staple the stub from I-797 to your passport) as on your I-797 depending on the expiry date of your passport and a few other things. The stamp will have a 'admit until' date which will again depend on your I-797 validity (09/2025) or passport expiry date. Anyways, you might be charged $6 for the I-94. The next day onwards you can commute based on that stamp and expired visa.

I signed a lease based on a virtual apartment tour but am yet to move in there. I booked a short term rental to cover the period between moving here and the lease start date.

rohyt04

Mar 22, 2022
Hey, I am in the same boat. My H1B visa got expired last year. So, I got my AVR done few months ago. I am planning to move to Windsor next month. Will it be an issue if I travel back and forth between Windsor and Detroit everyday using AVR?

aryastark940

Aug 25, 2022
I don't think it's a big deal to use AVR everyday. I also called the CBP office to confirm this. Did you move to Windsor already?

aryastark940

Aug 25, 2022
I started commuting recently with an soon to expire H1B visa stamp + new I-797 for amended petition. On the first trip, I was asked to park the car and go inside the office to get the I-94 from I-797 stapled and stamped to the passport (up to validity of I-797). On the subsequent trips so far, only one or two questions about where was I going and surprisingly also a light joke from the officer this morning. I would be happy to answer any questions for those who are looking to commute in the future. On the return trip, remember ArriveCAN.
Are you still using AVR everyday, I'm moving to Windsor in 2 weeks.

ind2usa2can

Oct 31, 2022
Do they ask you anything about the car and DL? The last time when I crossed the Ambassador bridge, they(USA) asked me about the car (it was a rental, with Canada plates).