+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will residency obligation be relaxed due to Covid?

hawk333

Aug 14, 2017
Hello All,
I got my PR through EE few years back. I had plans to work few years in my home country to save some money. Then Covid hit us. My wife lost her job, and searching for jobs in Canada have become more difficult. Adding to the that the requires for mandatory quarantine, expensive flights and the uncertainty about the job market. My question is, has any heard of any plans or discussion around relaxing the residency obligation to allow people like me to extend their PR even if they do not manage to settle within the five years period? We are distressed and between a rock and a hard place.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,
I got my PR through EE few years back. I had plans to work few years in my home country to save some money. Then Covid hit us. My wife lost her job, and searching for jobs in Canada have become more difficult. Adding to the that the requires for mandatory quarantine, expensive flights and the uncertainty about the job market. My question is, has any heard of any plans or discussion around relaxing the residency obligation to allow people like me to extend their PR even if they do not manage to settle within the five years period? We are distressed and between a rock and a hard place.
There's been no indication to date that IRCC has any plans to relax the rules.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,
2 out of 5 years is already very generous. Unfortunately if you don’t resettle soon after getting PR and wait a few years you lose the flexibility to move when the timing is best.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello All,
I hope not. It is already ridiculously generous. Just come and make it happen. Why wait? Commit to Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,
How much can you save when your wife was in Canada?