+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I be eligible to study?

jname185

Jun 24, 2022
I will be arriving in Canada with a valid study permit from a university from Alberta. Due to the unfortunate situations in my country, I'll have to be making an asylum claim. I have a lawyer and some friends in Toronto that are willing to help me with the process. I would like to know if, after submitting my claim in Toronto, I am allowed to travel to Alberta to study. I've heard that the initial study permit becomes invalid after the asylum claim, but some have said that you are still allowed to study while waiting for your decision. I will coming back to Toronto for court meetings and medicals when needed though.

Any input is appreciated! If there's someone that has gone through a similar process, I would want some help and thoughts! Many Thanks!

Biwako

Mar 6, 2022
Yes you may continue your study with your current study permit.

FYI: most claimants get their study permit or work permit after IRCC transferred their claim to the RPD, so even if people don't have a study permit right now it won’t give them any trouble. Good luck.

Reactions: jname185

jname185

Jun 24, 2022
It DOES NOT nullify or cancel, he will be allowed to continue studying with existing study permit, provided it is valid....
So my study permit will still be valid, even after I submit my claim at the port of entry? Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will be arriving in Canada with a valid study permit from a university from Alberta. Due to the unfortunate situations in my country, I'll have to be making an asylum claim. I have a lawyer and some friends in Toronto that are willing to help me with the process. I would like to know if, after submitting my claim in Toronto, I am allowed to travel to Alberta to study. I've heard that the initial study permit becomes invalid after the asylum claim, but some have said that you are still allowed to study while waiting for your decision. I will coming back to Toronto for court meetings and medicals when needed though.

Any input is appreciated! If there's someone that has gone through a similar process, I would want some help and thoughts! Many Thanks!
If you are gettimg a lawyer through legal aid you can’t move to Alberta and still receive Ontario legal aid. If you plan on relocating to Alberta why not claim asylum in Alberta? It makes much more sense not to travel back to Toronto fir a hearing, to meet your lawyer, etc.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you are gettimg a lawyer through legal aid you can’t move to Alberta and still receive Ontario legal aid. If you plan on relocating to Alberta why not claim asylum in Alberta? It makes much more sense not to travel back to Toronto fir a hearing, to meet your lawyer, etc.
Adding a relative of mine works for Legal Aid in Alberta. All asylum cases are extremely vetted with the determination if they are winnable and or successful. Due to limited resources , if they feel they wont be successful, they’ll decline to take them on. It’s not a “ given “ they’ll take the case.
They have a set budget set by the Province and only so many lawyers

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Adding a relative of mine works for Legal Aid in Alberta. All asylum cases are extremely vetted with the determination if they are winnable and or successful. Due to limited resources , if they feel they wont be successful, they’ll decline to take them on. It’s not a “ given “ they’ll take the case.
They have a set budget set by the Province and only so many lawyers
This 100% correct. Same situation happen with someone. here in British Columbia, he was refused legal aid but successful granted later after requesting reconsideration. Basis of refusal at first place is that they see credibility issue on his case, and they have limited budget they don't want to exhaust on unsuccessful claims