+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will H1B visa stamp effect my citizenship?

prudhvi

Star Member
Mar 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

i need suggestion from you guys. I have H1b visa on my Indian passport, but i never went to US on this visa.

My questions are
At the time of applying Canadian citizenship will this H1B visa effect my application? or delay my application with query's?

One more question is can i leave country after applying citizenship and come back for the citizenship test and oath? Why because my spouse is in US and she is a doctor. she can't come to Canada as there are very less opportunities for International medical grads to get residency in Canada. The only option is i need to go to USA. please help me with your valuable suggestions.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
prudhvi said:
Hi

i need suggestion from you guys. I have H1b visa on my Indian passport, but i never went to US on this visa.

My questions are
At the time of applying Canadian citizenship will this H1B visa effect my application? or delay my application with query's?

One more question is can i leave country after applying citizenship and come back for the citizenship test and oath? Why because my spouse is in US and she is a doctor. she can't come to Canada as there are very less opportunities for International medical grads to get residency in Canada. The only option is i need to go to USA. please help me with your valuable suggestions.
Logically if you have the required number of physical days and applied it should be OK. However, applicants with valid visas on their passport shared their experiences that at times it does raises the red flags at CIC about the intention of the applicants.

Its strongly recommended you take professional opinion on this matter, candidates experiences may or may not be actual official stand.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prudhvi said:
Hi

My questions are

Hi,
H1 you have is it cancelled or is it still active (working for the same employer or transferred it to current employer). If so it may be an issue. If it is not ask for CBP (US border control) to write C.W.O.P (Cancelled without prejudice) and this will show that you no longer use that H1. In my Indian passport I had F1 (CWOP), H1 (CWOP) and B1/B2 (Active) when I applied for citizenship.

prudhvi

Star Member
Mar 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chikloo said:
Hi,
H1 you have is it cancelled or is it still active (working for the same employer or transferred it to current employer). If so it may be an issue. If it is not ask for CBP (US border control) to write C.W.O.P (Cancelled without prejudice) and this will show that you no longer use that H1. In my Indian passport I had F1 (CWOP), H1 (CWOP) and B1/B2 (Active) when I applied for citizenship.
My H1b was approved last month only. i will be eligible to apply for citizenship, after 8 months from today. i am in dilemma whether to wait and apply for citizenship and go to us or just leave the country now

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
prudhvi said:
My H1b was approved last month only. i will be eligible to apply for citizenship, after 8 months from today. i am in dilemma whether to wait and apply for citizenship and go to us or just leave the country now
Just dont give it up, find out from some good immigration attorney about the pros and cons. If you still have 8 months to apply, its worth waiting as the CIC is trying to reduce the eligibility from current 1460 days to previous 1095 days.

One more biggest hurdle facing candidates who travel to USA especially by land. Though the US customs DOES NOT put exit stamp on passport. CIC knows that well, yet at the time of Citizenship test, they raises an objection.

For your own good, religiously maintain a log on excel sheet about the exact date you left Canada and returned, mode of travel, port of travel and time. It will help you to accurately calculate your physical presence in Canada and to match with CIC's records.

In any case, NEVER EVER apply with less number of days. If possible wait till you have couple of months extra than even a day less.