+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife Citizenship

Faraz2840288

Nov 24, 2010
Hi Folks,
This Web is great great help for every one.

Question: My Wife landed in Canada on May 2015. She is a Permanent Resident. Up-till now today she has spent 618 Days in Canada. I am a Canadian Citizen also we have new born baby who is also a Citizen.

We are planning to go back home for an year to help my father.

Since I am his Husband ( Citizen). When she stays back home with me will the days/time will be counted for her?

Also can I claimed that time for her when submitting her Citizenship application?

Your earlier response would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Shweta.iyer

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
Faraz2840288 said:
Hi Folks,
This Web is great great help for every one.

Question: My Wife landed in Canada on May 2015. She is a Permanent Resident. Up-till now today she has spent 618 Days in Canada. I am a Canadian Citizen also we have new born baby who is also a Citizen.

We are planning to go back home for an year to help my father.

Since I am his Husband ( Citizen). When she stays back home with me will the days/time will be counted for her?

Also can I claimed that time for her when submitting her Citizenship application?

Your earlier response would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Hi Faraz,
As far as i have heard, the days she will be with you outside Canada will be counted towards fulfilment of the required number days for PR renewal but she will have to be physically present for 1460 days in Canada in order to be eligible for Canadian citizenship.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Shweta.iyer said:
Hi Faraz,
As far as i have heard, the days she will be with you outside Canada will be counted towards fulfilment of the required number days for PR renewal but she will have to be physically present for 1460 days in Canada in order to be eligible for Canadian citizenship.
Just to confirm: Yes, she is staying with here canadian citizen spouse, so these days count towards the 2 out of 5 residency requirement for PR. They do NOT count, however, towards the citizenship days of 1460.

Days outside Canada only count for citizenship under very special circumstances, namely:
- if she were employed at a foreign outpost of Canada (e.g. in an embassy or at a base of the armed forces)
- if she accompanied you (her husband) and you were employed by such a foreign outpost.

Only in these two special cases do days abroad count towards citizenship.

But for PR residency obligation she is safe because she is staying with a citizen spouse.