+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why was my PR status only given for a year?

sammyak

Nov 5, 2021
I'm curious as to why sometimes permanent residency is given for 5 years whereas others only a receive a single year before needing to renew? I received PR recently and noticed on my ecoPR document that my PR is only valid for less than a year.

Simplitario

Star Member
May 4, 2022
I'm curious as to why sometimes permanent residency is given for 5 years whereas others only a receive a single year before needing to renew? I received PR recently and noticed on my ecoPR document that my PR is only valid for less than a year.
Never heard of it. It might be just on the eCOPR until you receive the PR card

freddieMercury

Star Member
Apr 25, 2022
@sammyak you need a little bit of clarification :)

- eCOPR Expiration date means exactly that, the date on which the eCOPR expires. (usually 1 year)
- PR status does not expire. (it's quite literally the entire point of the status, hint at the name "Permanent" Resident)
- PR Card expires (usually) in 5 years.

I recommend reading:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/06/individuals-approved-for-permanent-residence-may-travel-to-canada-as-of-june-21.html -> "A COPR’s validity, which can last for up to one year, is tied to the applicant’s passport and their immigration medical examination."

--- Congrats on getting your PR recently!

Reactions: armoured

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. You are confusing apples and oranges. Your ecopr is valid for 1 from the date of you medical. Once you "land" and apply for a PR card, it will be valid for 5 years.

Reactions: scylla