+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why move from AU (Sydney) to CA ( Toronto)

seeking

Nov 27, 2014
Hi All,
Me and my wife been living in Sydney for 8 years now and we are looking to move back to CA ( she is Canadian). We have been thinking about moving back to CA for 4 years now, but we are confused and torn between the two places. We have done pros/cons but that didn’t really help us to get to a conclusion. We all know about the weather (which is actually an easy one for us, as we know there’s really no comparison when it comes to Sydney weather, but we know that and our expectation is adjusted that way, so it’s more about the unknowns that we worry about)

We are between 30-33 and have a 1.7 year old. We visit CA pretty much every other year ( she goes back every year).

I am very interested to hear from ppl who actually lived in Australia, made a life here and then gone back or migrated to CA or thinking about moving. I know everybody’s personal circumstances are different so general comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

kiwi_guy

Oct 23, 2014
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
10-04-2015
Med's Done....
23-01-2015
For my wife and I, the cost of living is better than NZ, I am sure there are many that will disagree, but we have done spreadsheets and reviewed our spending. In Canada, we will be better off.

I can't speak for Aussie, but in NZ, property is stupidly priced in centres like Auckland, reportedly more expensive than NY and LA now. If you want to live there, you have to put with that 60 - 90min drive each way each day and still be prepared to pay well over 600k. The city I live in now is great, it's affordable, has lots of nice things going for it, but I work for the only company that can employee me in the niche field I work in, and they aren't even based in this town! So work options are slim to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, we love NZ, it's our home. But Canada, for us, presents a difference that is attractive. We like to travel, but out of NZ it's frightfully expensive to get to places in the North America or Europe.

For us, we listed the cons, we really focused on those, to make sure we knew what we were giving up. Canada still came up on top for us. It is a personal choice still. I work with a chap who lived in Toronto for 8 years, won't go back. My father in-law thinks we are daft for wanting to do -20C winters and snow lol. But each to their own.

Hope that helps :)

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Same here, my wife and I are NZers, but we love Canada and its proximity to places. Otherwise we have similar reasons as Kiwi guy mentioned. Australia was never a contender, too many Aussies!

aenima

Oct 22, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2014
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
Med's Request
26-03-2015
CA is a confusing shorthand to use--it's the USPS code for the State of California. Personally, I use CAN.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
aenima said:
CA is a confusing shorthand to use--it's the USPS code for the State of California. Personally, I use CAN.
Technically you are correct.. but this is a CANADIAN forum, not US, hence CA. It is also www.something.CA ;D