+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which permit?

lloydhulmes

Feb 5, 2016
Hey guys! I'm a 24 year old UK citizen studying towards a masters in Iceland and for my thesis I want to focus on aquaculture in Nova Scotia, Canada which will take me between 8-12 months to collect data and write it up. Whilst I'm researching, I want to have a bar/cafe job in Halifax, NS to pay for rent and food etc. Would I have to apply for a study permit or a work permit? If it's a work permit, would I be entitled to it given my situation? I haven't got any family in Canada, but will be living with a good Canadian friend of mine. In the long term, I wish to move to Canada, but for the time being I just want to focus on my thesis research and earn some money to survive. ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Lloyd

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you need a job offer (full time ) to get work permit .

you need to register school to get study permit.

if you do not have either or both, you could enter Canada as visitor and collect data, but you cannot work.

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure if you will be collaborating with a school for your research but a study permit maybe your best bet. Your study permit will give you the opportunity to work if you are full time. Not sure how you can convince your visa officer but its worth giving it a try since your case is entirely academic related.

lloydhulmes said:
Hey guys! I'm a 24 year old UK citizen studying towards a masters in Iceland and for my thesis I want to focus on aquaculture in Nova Scotia, Canada which will take me between 8-12 months to collect data and write it up. Whilst I'm researching, I want to have a bar/cafe job in Halifax, NS to pay for rent and food etc. Would I have to apply for a study permit or a work permit? If it's a work permit, would I be entitled to it given my situation? I haven't got any family in Canada, but will be living with a good Canadian friend of mine. In the long term, I wish to move to Canada, but for the time being I just want to focus on my thesis research and earn some money to survive. ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Lloyd