24-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
Folks,
I am in a confusion and unable to decide on what type of accommodation to rent - A condo or an apartment. The rent of apartment is lesser than that of Condo. I heard that due to its proper maintenance, a Condo is more livable and hence, has higher rent. Is it true? Is it always advisable to rent a Condo than an apartment? What if one is getting a new apartment? I heard the apartment mostly has aging problem such as bedbugs etc :eek:. Is it true guys. Please help.

Also, what is difference between a suite and Condo/Apartment please.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
The difference between an apartment and a condo is ownership. Apartments are leased to tenants for a pre-designated period of time, while condos are owned by individuals who either live in them or rent them out to others

viveksharma

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with Medicals
Nomination.....
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
Not Received
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Guess mid Jun-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
24-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
foodie69 said:
The difference between an apartment and a condo is ownership. Apartments are leased to tenants for a pre-designated period of time, while condos are owned by individuals who either live in them or rent them out to others
Thanks buddy. I am (also) interested in knowing what a suite is. In what sense suite is different from condo/appt.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
viveksharma said:
Folks,
I am in a confusion and unable to decide on what type of accommodation to rent - A condo or an apartment. The rent of apartment is lesser than that of Condo. I heard that due to its proper maintenance, a Condo is more livable and hence, has higher rent. Is it true? Is it always advisable to rent a Condo than an apartment? What if one is getting a new apartment? I heard the apartment mostly has aging problem such as bedbugs etc :eek:. Is it true guys. Please help.

Also, what is difference between a suite and Condo/Apartment please.
As stated above, the only difference between Condo (apartment owned by an individual) and apartment (the whole building owned by the same company or individual) is ownership. That being said, you can find problems in both places due to age. It is always better look at the place and neighborhood before signing a lease.

Suites traditionally referred to furnished apartments, but now ppl use that term for general apartments as well.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
rizmayo said:
As stated above, the only difference between Condo (apartment owned by an individual) and apartment (the whole building owned by the same company or individual) is ownership. That being said, you can find problems in both places due to age. It is always better look at the place and neighborhood before signing a lease.

Suites traditionally referred to furnished apartments, but now ppl use that term for general apartments as well.
As mentioned by senior members, ownership is one differentiating factor in Condo/ Apartment. And you should definitely look at the neighborhood before renting anything.

However, as a new person coming in, I see below points useful as well while deciding which one to rent:

1. Condo is generally a new construction than apartments and has amenities like Gym, Sauna, Pool onsite. Apartment usually does not have these facilities becasue most of them are quite old (constructed in 30-40 yrs ago)
2. Due to new in construction, Condo's have better air movement than apartments. Apartments corridors sometimes block cooking fumes from units and might be unpleasent to some
3. Due to old construction and way of heating vents, apartments are more susceptible to cockroaches problem than condos. This problem can however be anywhere in condos or apartments
4. Condo's are generally smaller in size. I have seen 1 bedroom condo's which are way smaller than 1 bedroom apartments.
5. condo's might have laundry in the unit itself. Apartments usually have common laundry in basement
6. Most apartments have rent which includes heating and electricity costs. Condo's usually have separate costs
7. Condo's usually come with parking space. In Apartments, you have shell out extra for parking space

These are some points I experienced while I was searching for my first rental place, and some of them experienced after moving in the apartment.
You can decide pro's and cons of both depending on your situation and decide for yourself.

Hope it helps.

namratha_s

Sep 17, 2014
condo is cheap and best as well as clean n many facilities. apartments are horrible with bugs n stuff. so go for condo

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
namratha_s said:
condo is cheap and best as well as clean n many facilities. apartments are horrible with bugs n stuff. so go for condo
Wow..words of wisdom..NOT. You cannot generalize. Condos are cheap? Come and live in Vancouver then.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
foodie69 said:
Wow..words of wisdom..NOT. You cannot generalize. Condos are cheap? Come and live in Vancouver then.
Yeah. Even in GTA, condos are way costlier than apartments.
I can understand the bug issue might be less in condos, but they are not cheap in any other ay

namratha_s

Sep 17, 2014
foodie69 said:
i stay in condo in toronto. i pay $1700 n the amenities are sports room. v have snooker, table tennis, gym, pool, party room, party n so on. i feel its worth it. n i am moving to vancouver on jan 2017. i feel its good for 1700