+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which auto+renter's insurance company is good for Windsor commuters?

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Hi,

The apartment management is requesting that I get a 2 million dollar in liability renter's insurance before move-in, and I was wondering which insurance company people use.
I heard TD is cheaper, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.
How much do people pay for auto and renter's insurance/month in Windsor?

I'll be commuting to the US almost everyday, and I think this will vary depending on the policy, but it'd be great if there's an auto insurance that's effective in Michigan as well.

I haven't moved to Canada yet, so I don't have a credit or insurance history there.
I have proof of auto insurance since 2017.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

The apartment management is requesting that I get a 2 million dollar in liability renter's insurance before move-in, and I was wondering which insurance company people use.
I heard TD is cheaper, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.
How much do people pay for auto and renter's insurance/month in Windsor?

I'll be commuting to the US almost everyday, and I think this will vary depending on the policy, but it'd be great if there's an auto insurance that's effective in Michigan as well.

I haven't moved to Canada yet, so I don't have a credit or insurance history there.
I have proof of auto insurance since 2017.
Renter's insurance: Yes 2mil is norm here. Any company you approach can give you that much coverage on liability. Rate would be 2-3 times more that of US.

Auto insurance: Nothing specific to commuting. Most/all will cover travel in US. Same way your current US car insurance covers your travel while driving in US. This is not like a travel insurance to add country to cover the location. So getting some company with Canadian limits should be fine - you can certainly confirm with the agents that your car insurance would cover while driving in US. Call few and would confirm on the same.
Rate would be 2-3 times of US premium as they rip you off on insurance here. This is like a mafia where everyone will charge you similarly and you cant just easily escape from that unfortunately. Each year every company offers less than the other ones hence you will have to check online and find out.
They jack up rates for having less number of driving experience from Canada, less number of years of "no claim" proof and so on. So cant escape.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Renter's insurance: Yes 2mil is norm here. Any company you approach can give you that much coverage on liability. Rate would be 2-3 times more that of US.

Auto insurance: Nothing specific to commuting. Most/all will cover travel in US. Same way your current US car insurance covers your travel while driving in US. This is not like a travel insurance to add country to cover the location. So getting some company with Canadian limits should be fine - you can certainly confirm with the agents that your car insurance would cover while driving in US. Call few and would confirm on the same.
Rate would be 2-3 times of US premium as they rip you off on insurance here. This is like a mafia where everyone will charge you similarly and you cant just easily escape from that unfortunately. Each year every company offers less than the other ones hence you will have to check online and find out.
They jack up rates for having less number of driving experience from Canada, less number of years of "no claim" proof and so on. So cant escape.
Yes insurance rates are high but unfortunately there is a lot of fraud and criminal activity which is one of the big reasons for higher rates. Also some drivers don’t know how to drive in any type of precipitation. Rates vary by province.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Wow....I guess things are expensive over in Windsor...
Any recommendations on which companies to look for first?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Wow....I guess things are expensive over in Windsor...
Any recommendations on which companies to look for first?
Desjardins, allstate, buckley insurance brokers, TD insurance, rates.ca.
Also try comparing above quotes with some other online comparison sites too.

Reactions: dry.00

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Desjardins, allstate, buckley insurance brokers, TD insurance, rates.ca.
Also try comparing above quotes with some other online comparison sites too.
Hi @harirajmohan - I recently moved to Windsor and I'm trying to get quotes and every online asks if we have claims in past 10 years. I am insured in US since 2013 and I have two at fault claims in 2017 in US. Should I disclose my claims to Canadian companies or should I just mention that I didn't have any insurance/no claims? I tired sonnet and ended up with 388 per month which seems extremely high.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi @harirajmohan - I recently moved to Windsor and I'm trying to get quotes and every online asks if we have claims in past 10 years. I am insured in US since 2013 and I have two at fault claims in 2017 in US. Should I disclose my claims to Canadian companies or should I just mention that I didn't have any insurance/no claims? I tired sonnet and ended up with 388 per month which seems extremely high.
So you’re in a nutshell asking if you should lie on your insurance application?
That’s insurance fraud. Great way to get off on the wrong foot ...
And if they find out you’re lying, and cancel your insurance , then what ?
Complain you’re being treated unfair?
https://www.easywayinsurance.ca/insurance/the-risks-of-lying-on-your-insurance-application/amp/

Seriously....

Last edited:

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
So you’re in a nutshell asking if you should lie on your insurance application?
That’s insurance fraud. Great way to get off on the wrong foot ...
And if they find out you’re lying, and cancel your insurance , then what ?
Complain you’re being treated unfair?
https://www.easywayinsurance.ca/insurance/the-risks-of-lying-on-your-insurance-application/amp/

Seriously....
Well, I have seen people mentioning that they didn't share US insurance history when they got the insurance. So I was trying to understand how it works and what people do..

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Car insurance is pure scam in Canada. Insurers have tendency to ask customers to retain their 10+ years history via "no claim" letters from past insurance companies - this was not the case with US(possibly they have centralized database storing the claims history of drivers). So if you dont submit they will not count as experienced for those years hence rate would go up.

i too did not have letters as i dont even have old documents to refer as i moved out of country and stuff hence i could only prove the claims history for 3 years hence the rate was high.

So cant do much on this area. We have to pay high price for owning car here. its a total rip off.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Car insurance is pure scam in Canada. Insurers have tendency to ask customers to retain their 10+ years history via "no claim" letters from past insurance companies - this was not the case with US(possibly they have centralized database storing the claims history of drivers). So if you dont submit they will not count as experienced for those years hence rate would go up.

i too did not have letters as i dont even have old documents to refer as i moved out of country and stuff hence i could only prove the claims history for 3 years hence the rate was high.

So cant do much on this area. We have to pay high price for owning car here. its a total rip off.
Thanks.. so did you have to call out on what claims you had before 3 years when you applied for insurance? More than giving claims letter, they seem to be asking if you have had any claims in last 10 years when we fill the application for online quote.. if we say yes, they ask us to list what type of claims they are and their date of occurance.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks.. so did you have to call out on what claims you had before 3 years when you applied for insurance? More than giving claims letter, they seem to be asking if you have had any claims in last 10 years when we fill the application for online quote.. if we say yes, they ask us to list what type of claims they are and their date of occurance.
No letter = No experience = No need to disclose on claims as there is no proof for me to give on whether i had cliams/noclaims.
When they dont believe me when i say without letter that i dont have claims, then why would i tell that i have claims without the letter.
They will believe that we had claims even without letter but they wont believe "no claims" without letter. So no point in telling them on claims for the period we cant produce letters.