+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to start?

Aconfusedgirl

Mar 1, 2018
Hi.

So I am a Canadian citizen and have sponsored my husband from India. I have a question regarding bringing his parents over to Canada after he comes here. I know this is very early to think about but I want to know what are the possible ways to apply for them both.
Can I apply or does he need to apply for them? what should we apply for? what are some the documents we will need? How long will it take?
Any information and advise will be appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi.

So I am a Canadian citizen and have sponsored my husband from India. I have a question regarding bringing his parents over to Canada after he comes here. I know this is very early to think about but I want to know what are the possible ways to apply for them both.
Can I apply or does he need to apply for them? what should we apply for? what are some the documents we will need? How long will it take?
Any information and advise will be appreciated
He needs to apply for them. He cannot sponsor them for PR until he is a PR himself. There are also minimum income requirements you must meet before they can be sponsored. Lastly, parent sponsorship is limited with only a specific number of applications allowed each year. As usual, everything is on the IRCC web site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=818&top=14

Aconfusedgirl

Mar 1, 2018

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Looks like you have 3 or 4 years before you attempt to apply. Would consider looking into a supervisa once you and your husband have established yourself in Canada and have accumulated some savings and have jobs. That may take 6 months to a year because they can not appear to be moving with you and often an NOA seems preferred in applications. They will be visitors so need to keep a home in India. You will have to pay for their health insurance which will treat emergencies or acute situations. Once stabilized they will be expected to return to their home country. Many people aren't aware of that.