+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to move - Neighborhoods in Toronto

SamuraiJack

Jan 26, 2019
I'm looking for suggestions on neighborhoods to move in Toronto. I have been reading up about all the options available across Toronto and Mississauga. I guess this is a problem of too many choices so would appreciate opinions and suggestions from those of you already living there.

About me so you can make a more educated suggestions:
I'm a young south Indian male who likes the idea of living close to the water front. I understand the weather can be a little amplified for people living by the water. I will be living alone and working remotely so commute isn't a factor. So I'm thinking of considering a neighborhood that has a good concentration of hobby clubs/classes/social activities and Indian food. Some hobbies/weekend activities I like to indulge in - long walks, scuba diving, golfing, wood working.

Now I do realize that there most likely may not be one neighborhood that has all these. Or is there?

It looks like Down town has a wood work shop/school and a golf course. The rent though is expensive - $2000 for studios or single bedroom homes. Are there any other neighborhoods with lower rent and some reasonable mix of the stuff I'm looking for? I'm fine with plaes outside Toronto such as Missisauga too, assuming someone can share their experience living in such places.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm looking for suggestions on neighborhoods to move in Toronto. I have been reading up about all the options available across Toronto and Mississauga. I guess this is a problem of too many choices so would appreciate opinions and suggestions from those of you already living there.

I'm a young south Indian male who likes the idea of living close to the water front. I understand the weather can be a little amplified for people living by the water. I will be living alone and working remotely so commute isn't a factor. So I'm thinking of considering a neighborhood that has a good concentration of hobby clubs/classes/social activities and Indian food. Some hobbies/weekend activities I like to indulge in - long walks, scuba diving, golfing, wood working.

Now I do realize that there most likely may not be one neighborhood that has all these. Or is there?

It looks like Down town has a wood work shop/school and a golf course. The rent though is expensive - $2000 for studios or single bedroom homes. Are there any other neighborhoods with lower rent and some reasonable mix of the stuff I'm looking for? I'm fine with plaes outside Toronto such as Missisauga too, assuming someone can share their experience living in such places.
The waterfront area in Toronto and the immediate suburbs (including Oakville) is generally quite expensive. For downtown Toronto you're probably looking at around $2400 per month in rent. If you want to be near the water, you might want to check out places like Oshawa or even the Barrie or Midland areas. Can't comment on the size of the Indian communities there.

FYI - there's really no scuba diving in or near Toronto. You need to travel a few hours to get to any real scuba diving. A good example is Tobermory which is around 4 hours away from Toronto. It's cold water scuba diving so you need a thick suit.

Golf courses are everywhere - although they are not open during winter months.

Reactions: SamuraiJack

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Really depends on what kind of socializing you want to do. Do you want to be car free? I would recommend it unless you need a car. It is a major cost saver. Would suggest looking on the TTC lines. There are tons of options in the west like around high park or Kipling.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm fine with plaes outside Toronto such as Missisauga too, assuming someone can share their experience living in such places.
You are trying to check too many boxes with your housing needs. Once you start looking for apartments in GTA area you would realize finding apartments can be a bit of pain and time consuming.

Rents in Mississauga aren't too low either. A 1 BHK in Mississauga is also in the 2000 per month range. You probably need to decide on budget first and then do little bit of research from there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also depends if you acted going for shiny new condos or those with crazy amenities.

if you are single and working from home you really need to focus on living somewhere where you can meet some friends. What are some of your interests? Unfortunately some ethnic/cultural groups only want to hang out with other members of thei group so you get places like Bramptom, Richmond, Burnaby, etc. If you are interested in meeting people with the same interests and hobbies as you but they don’t have to be primarily Indian then I would focus on areas which make exploring your hobbies and meeting people much easier.

Last edited:

SamuraiJack

Jan 26, 2019
The waterfront area in Toronto and the immediate suburbs (including Oakville) is generally quite expensive. For downtown Toronto you're probably looking at around $2400 per month in rent.
That's definitely a NO then. I would prefer to keep my rent lower.

If you want to be near the water, you might want to check out places like Oshawa or even the Barrie or Midland areas. Can't comment on the size of the Indian communities there.
Let me add these place to my 'To research' list, thanks!

SamuraiJack

Jan 26, 2019
FYI - there's really no scuba diving in or near Toronto. You need to travel a few hours to get to any real scuba diving. A good example is Tobermory which is around 4 hours away from Toronto. It's cold water scuba diving so you need a thick suit.
ah damn, I was suspecting it would be a drive from the city, but 4 hours? that makes quite an effort. Would you know if this is the closest? I'm looking for spots that could be less than 1-2 hours from the city. If you're aware of any dive spots, please share.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ah damn, I was suspecting it would be a drive from the city, but 4 hours? that makes quite an effort. Would you know if this is the closest? I'm looking for spots that could be less than 1-2 hours from the city. If you're aware of any dive spots, please share.
I don't know the closest. I'm sure a google search will tell you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canada isn’t really a scuba destination. Lots of cold dark bodies of water. Would also look at car insurance prices. They are usually a bit of a shock for people.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

For car insurance, checkout CAA My pace . If you drive below 9000km a year, it’s worth looking at . You pay a base, then every 1000km you buy

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Scuba diving may be more possible if you move to coastal cities (East or West) instead of inland.
Either way the water is cold and if you prefer to dive in tropical warm water, vacation in Mexico/Hawaii...etc once a year may be a better option.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Scuba diving may be more possible if you move to coastal cities (East or West) instead of inland.
Either way the water is cold and if you prefer to dive in tropical warm water, vacation in Mexico/Hawaii...etc once a year may be a better option.
Canada isn’t really a country where you move to be closest to scuba diving. :)

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011

https://viewit.ca/vwExpandView.aspx?ViT=102652