Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All.

Moving into ottawa soon and considering acquiring Home used/second hand Furniture for apartment set-up.

Are the websites or places around ottawa where one can get such?

I look forward to your responses.

Regards
David

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Dav1d0 said:
Hi All.

Moving into ottawa soon and considering acquiring Home used/second hand Furniture for apartment set-up.

Regards
David
Craigslist, Kiiji, Salvation Army.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Kijiji has a new "Free" section. We got a free solid oak dinning table with four chairs for free.

Just be careful. Don't go into strangers homes and preferably don't go to pick up alone.

cimple

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2008
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-06-2013
amikety said:
Kijiji has a new "Free" section. We got a free solid oak dinning table with four chairs for free.

Just be careful. Don't go into strangers homes and preferably don't go to pick up alone.
ofcourse all would be stranger .will you more clarify it

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
cimple said:
ofcourse all would be stranger .will you more clarify it
Don't go into their home. Meet them outside in view of neighbors or meet in a neutral, public place. Take a friend if you need to go into the seller's house to view or pick up the item.

Trues1979

Jul 15, 2013
i got my hands on some great furniture from a home furniture rental named Executive furniture rentals through craigslist. Guess i got lucky.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Trues1979 said:
i got my hands on some great furniture from a home furniture rental named Executive furniture rentals through craigslist. Guess i got lucky.
Furniture rentals are a notorious rip off. Once you add up your "payments" you'll find you've spent double or triple the retail value of the item.

caipsfasttracker

Jun 4, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Dav,

Welcome to Canada and to Ottawa more specifically! Ottawa is a great city full of friendly people that are going to help you out fast! I agree with the other comments posted above about how to find furniture.

Just be weary of fabric furniture as bed bugs keep popping up around the city.

I have taken the liberty of attaching a link to the City of Ottawa regarding this issue:

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/public-health/healthy-living/bed-bugs

As well you can visit link to website under my profile as I am always looking for new immigrants to add their thoughts, feelings and experiences to my blog while in Canada.

Best regards,

Caips

Reactions: astralsource

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
Dav1d0 said:
Hi All.

Regards
David
The best place to pick up some free furniture is at apartment complexes or houses near university campuses at the end of spring term or semester (or fall) when many students graduate and leave. Some leave nice furniture behind because it's more expensive to move it to a city they're moving to than buy a new one, or because they simply don't have time or can't as many kids (especially intl students) can't drive--so can't rent a U-Haul truck, (which itself costs a lot).

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
margobear96 said:
Don't go into their home. Meet them outside in view of neighbors or meet in a neutral, public place. Take a friend if you need to go into the seller's house to view or pick up the item.
What's wrong with go into their home? The man who picked up our old bed with mattresses came alone to our house without previously meeting him elsewhere.

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
margobear96 said:
Ask the creepy guy (from whom you want a bed and other free stuff) to bring them to a local Tim Horton's so that it's safe and you don't get raped ! LOL.

No, you have to get in there and take the stuff out yourself. That's why they give them out for free, because they're so lazy they don't want to get off their ass and lift it up and take it to a dumpster.

Just don't forget to go with a Steven Seagal type guy when you pick up free stuff! LOL. The downside of it is they might not even open the door. So scared! Ha ha ha.

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
steaky said:
What's wrong with go into their home? The man who picked up our old bed with mattresses came alone to our house without previously meeting him elsewhere.
Are you saying you should have met him at a local restaurant to discuss how old and stinky your mattresses are before he just popped up at your door? LOL.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingkong1 said:
No, you have to get in there and take the stuff out yourself. That's why they give them out for free, because they're so lazy they don't want to get off their ass and lift it up and take it to a dumpster.
LOL

We don't want take it to a dumpster, rather we want to cut down how much we send to the landfill. Therefore, we give it to someone who needs it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingkong1 said:
Are you saying you should have met him at a local restaurant to discuss how old and stinky your mattresses are before he just popped up at your door? LOL.
No, why should I meet him in a restaurant? LOL. Besides, the mattresses and bed were clean.