+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

where to apply for open work permit? US or Canada? helppp

yleniuccia89

Aug 8, 2013
Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone has a similar experience but I think not... anyway here's my story and then my question.

I am Italian.
May 2013 - Moved to Canada with WHV

February 2014 - Moved to USA, Los Angeles (I have a green card)

April - Moved back to Vancouver for 1 month where my fiancé (Italian with a a study permit) lives, while looking for a job and house in Bellingham to be closer to him

May 12th - moved to Bellingham

Monday June 16th - Got Married in Vancouver

Now - I have a crappy job in bellingham, I only work 10hrs a week so can't pay rent or anything and can't find a better job. I just found out I can apply for an open work permit in Canada since my husband is there with a study permit and the idea is to move back temporary since my old employer there will have me work there again and work there until my husband receive his green card to the USA and then move there.

My lease here ends on July 28th and I want to move back to Vancouver by then but the processing time for an application submitted abroad is 3 months and I can't stay here that long. Since I have a stamp from the Canadian border valid until October 2014 should I just move there and after apply for the work permit as a change of status? Am I allowed to do that?

Thank you so much for your help!
Yle