+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for Health Card?

choudhary_abhinav

Sep 27, 2016
Hi,

I've already landed in Canada as a PR. I was under the impression that I have to wait for three months before applying for my health card. Is that correct? Or can I apply straight away?

Staunts2015

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
11-12-2019
I believe you apply for it right away when you move there, then you have to wait for 3 months before the benefits kick in.

AK_canada

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
It depends on the province, i can share my experience in Ontario.
Like suggested above, it only kicks in after 3 months. But to apply rightaway, i have been facing issues with ServiceOntario.

CoPR + Passport is great.
But they need an address proof (with your name appearing along with the address.)
- Monthly bank statement (I gave my friend's address for Bank statement, so essentially my name + her address, but one month hasn't lapsed yet and I chose online statement, so to fix that at the bank is another month cycle)
- Condo Lease - but original copy signed by Landlord and me - issue bcz everything now is via docusign or digital signatures, and they aren't accepting a print of my 'legally binding digitally signed lease'
- any utility bill - don't have one yet, will only move into the new condo on 1st July, so won't get anything before 1st Aug
- don't have a drivers licence

That's the reason why they give us 3 months to essentially settle in, and establish ourselves and even if i manage to provide the address proof, they only tend to mail the health card closer to the date when coverage kicks in.

So, unless you can provide the address proofs, wait, else get another thing checked off your to-do list while it comes in after your 3 month stay mark :)

Reactions: Staunts2015

ottmom

Jun 14, 2017
Hi,

I've already landed in Canada as a PR. I was under the impression that I have to wait for three months before applying for my health card. Is that correct? Or can I apply straight away?

Good luck trying to get everything you need from Ontario, I have moved to the Ontario side 6 months ago and Quebec is still taking my money even though I went in person and cancelled everything.

ottmom

Jun 14, 2017
Hi,

You can apply for a health card it takes 3 months to get to you until then you still have to pay to see a doctor on the Ontario other wise you need to keep on going to see a doctor on the Quebec side

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Good luck trying to get everything you need from Ontario, I have moved to the Ontario side 6 months ago and Quebec is still taking my money even though I went in person and cancelled everything.
Quebec will give you a refund cheque for that.

rnimk

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
It depends on the province, i can share my experience in Ontario.
Like suggested above, it only kicks in after 3 months. But to apply rightaway, i have been facing issues with ServiceOntario.

CoPR + Passport is great.
But they need an address proof (with your name appearing along with the address.)
- Monthly bank statement (I gave my friend's address for Bank statement, so essentially my name + her address, but one month hasn't lapsed yet and I chose online statement, so to fix that at the bank is another month cycle)
- Condo Lease - but original copy signed by Landlord and me - issue bcz everything now is via docusign or digital signatures, and they aren't accepting a print of my 'legally binding digitally signed lease'
- any utility bill - don't have one yet, will only move into the new condo on 1st July, so won't get anything before 1st Aug
- don't have a drivers licence

That's the reason why they give us 3 months to essentially settle in, and establish ourselves and even if i manage to provide the address proof, they only tend to mail the health card closer to the date when coverage kicks in.

So, unless you can provide the address proofs, wait, else get another thing checked off your to-do list while it comes in after your 3 month stay mark :)
Hello AK_canada, would you suggest waiting for applying for health card till a person has actually moved there? What I mean is if I plan to do soft landing next week, I should not bother with the health card?
Which document can I apply for then? just the SIN?

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes you can apply for SIN, or you can also apply SIN when you get back, SIN is needed when you apply for benefits and for employment which you won't be doing coz of your soft landing.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello AK_canada, would you suggest waiting for applying for health card till a person has actually moved there? What I mean is if I plan to do soft landing next week, I should not bother with the health card?
Which document can I apply for then? just the SIN?
You are not allowed to apply for health coverage until you actually move to Canada.

AK_canada

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
Hi, you cannot apply for health card - you won't have the requisite docs to support the same.
Docs required: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card
Even though Ive been here almost a month, and with Bank ac too and a digitally signed lease starting next month, I'm still unable to provide the address proof right now!

SIN, you can apply even at the Airport, right after they stamp your CoPR document. If not, visit any Service Canada centre (i went to the one at City Hall and it's an under 15 min task)

Reactions: rnimk

rnimk

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
Hi, you cannot apply for health card - you won't have the requisite docs to support the same.
Docs required: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card
Even though Ive been here almost a month, and with Bank ac too and a digitally signed lease starting next month, I'm still unable to provide the address proof right now!

SIN, you can apply even at the Airport, right after they stamp your CoPR document. If not, visit any Service Canada centre (i went to the one at City Hall and it's an under 15 min task)
Hello AK_canada, thank you for sharing your exp and the link. good to know! I will only get the SIN then and that will be it..thanks again :) I appreciate the detailed response.