+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When I am eligible

SLverve

Mar 12, 2023
Hi.
I did a soft landing in December 2022 did not apply for OHIP back then (I intended to go back for settling my affairs in my previous country)
I am now planning to permanently settle in Ontario in June 2023. The website requirements are confusing me.

Questions:
1. Can I apply for OHIP Health card immediately after landing in June 2023?
2. The website says card gets delivered in 2-4 weeks. Will I be eligible for health coverage immediately when I receive my cards, or should I wait for 153 days?

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Hi.
I did a soft landing in December 2022 did not apply for OHIP back then (I intended to go back for settling my affairs in my previous country)
I am now planning to permanently settle in Ontario in June 2023. The website requirements are confusing me.

Questions:
1. Can I apply for OHIP Health card immediately after landing in June 2023?
2. The website says card gets delivered in 2-4 weeks. Will I be eligible for health coverage immediately when I receive my cards, or should I wait for 153 days?
1. Yes you can apply immediately if you have the necessary documents proving identity, immigration status (PR), and residence in Ontario. There is currently no waiting period (this could change by June) so coverage takes effect right away. Service Ontario will print a temporary document that you can use until you receive the plastic card. This document has your health insurance number on it.

2. You do not have to be in Ontario for 5 months (153 days) to qualify. When you apply, you are basically committing to reside in Ontario at least 5 months out of the next 6 months AFTER you apply. otherwise you may have to pay for any services you used.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Yes you can apply immediately if you have the necessary documents proving identity, immigration status (PR), and residence in Ontario. There is currently no waiting period (this could change by June) so coverage takes effect right away. Service Ontario will print a temporary document that you can use until you receive the plastic card. This document has your health insurance number on it.

2. You do not have to be in Ontario for 5 months (153 days) to qualify. When you apply, you are basically committing to reside in Ontario at least 5 months out of the next 6 months AFTER you apply. otherwise you may have to pay for any services you used.
For the first year you not only have to live in Ontario 5 out of the first 6 months and 6 out of the first 12 months. If you don’t plan on being in Ontario during that time you shouldn’t apply.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I have OHIP, currently working full-time in Ontario. I want to add my wife. For proof of relationship, can I just bring our lease agreement showing that we live in the same place? Or do I need to provide a marriage certificate?

I'm asking because I would have to translate the marriage certificate, which would take about a week, and she needs to go see a doctor in the next couple of days.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I have OHIP, currently working full-time in Ontario. I want to add my wife. For proof of relationship, can I just bring our lease agreement showing that we live in the same place? Or do I need to provide a marriage certificate?

I'm asking because I would have to translate the marriage certificate, which would take about a week, and she needs to go see a doctor in the next couple of days.
You missed to mention that unlike OP (whose a returning PR), you are on PGWP and your wife is on SOWP. Doesn your wife have a full time job as well?
I will let others to reply your actual question.