+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When applying for a refugee travel document, will they take my old passport away?

129ie0

Sep 23, 2018
I want to know if they will take my national passport or if I will keep it with me with the refugee travel document

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
I want to know if they will take my national passport or if I will keep it with me with the refugee travel document
If your home country's passport is still valid once it's given back during your pr interview then you must surrender it to Passport Canada by mail and writing a cover letter. That's in the case you want to keep you travel document, if you don't need your travel document then you can keep your home country's passport but you can't use it, as it will be considered re-availment. Technically you're not supposed to have two valid travel documents at the same time, so if it's expired you can keep it and don't have to send it to Passport Canada. That's as far as I know. It's always a better idea to call Passport Canada when in doubt, if you call ask the agent to transfer you to the Travel Document department, as they are more familiar with the rules than a regular agent. Good luck!!!