+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Whats the Dif. btwn Record of Landing and COPR?

calismom

Feb 20, 2010
Hello all!
We've successfully completed our cross border adventure, and now the Driver Licensing people are refusing to issue my permanent resident husband a license because they say they must see a "stamped record of landing." I'm not sure we have one of those...We have some photo issues with his already delayed Perm. res. card - so it'll probably be the new year before he gets it - and he needs a license before then. He has his COPR in his passport, but as far as I can tell, he doesn't have a ROL. They are telling him that they can't accept his COPR. He landed in BC in July at the Pac Hwy. border crossing in a private vehicle. Does he need to apply separately for a ROL?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

calismom said:
Hello all!
We've successfully completed our cross border adventure, and now the Driver Licensing people are refusing to issue my permanent resident husband a license because they say they must see a "stamped record of landing." I'm not sure we have one of those...We have some photo issues with his already delayed Perm. res. card - so it'll probably be the new year before he gets it - and he needs a license before then. He has his COPR in his passport, but as far as I can tell, he doesn't have a ROL. They are telling him that they can't accept his COPR. He landed in BC in July at the Pac Hwy. border crossing in a private vehicle. Does he need to apply separately for a ROL?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
1. Well he will have to wait for the PR card to get his license, as CIC hasn't issued a record of "landing" (IMM 1000) since 2002.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Well I had a similar problem. I landed Inland though, which means I didn't get a shiny visa stamped in my passport, just the COPR paper. I was unable to get both a driving license or a SIN until my PR card arrived.

From what I understand though, if you land Outland, you have had a passport request before landing and a nice shiny visa is attached to the passport. This should be good enough for both the driving license and SIN. Apart from that, someone arriving from another country can usually drive for 90 days, with their own license or apply for an international license which allows them a year. But I am not actually sure about that, so maybe best to research that information.