+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to Say at the Border? - Spousal Sponsorship

alpinegroove

Feb 24, 2011
Hello,
In a few weeks, I will be flying to Toronto. My fiance, a Canadian citizen, is already there. We would like to get married shortly after I get there.
1. I will be entering the country with on a tourist visa. What should I say at the border when asked about the purpose of my visit? Should I mention my fiance and that we are planning to get married?
2. A few weeks after my arrival, I would like to travel to NY to visit family and would be going through a land crossing. My visit to the U.S. would last about a week. Should I expect any problems re-entering Canada after the visit? At that point I will be married and the immigration paperwork will probably have been turned in, plus I will be traveling with my Canadian husband.

Thank you!

cobra

Star Member
Jan 2, 2011
Visa Office......
London uk
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
alpinegroove said:
Hello,
In a few weeks, I will be flying to Toronto. My fiance, a Canadian citizen, is already there. We would like to get married shortly after I get there.
1. I will be entering the country with on a tourist visa. What should I say at the border when asked about the purpose of my visit? Should I mention my fiance and that we are planning to get married?
2. A few weeks after my arrival, I would like to travel to NY to visit family and would be going through a land crossing. My visit to the U.S. would last about a week. Should I expect any problems re-entering Canada after the visit? At that point I will be married and the immigration paperwork will probably have been turned in, plus I will be traveling with my Canadian husband.

Thank you!
Congrats on your upcoming marriage by the way! i'm kind of in the same situation. In april I'll be flying to canada to get married, ( my fiance is a canadian citizen living there) and I have read similar things while browsing this forum and found that its best not to say 'im getting married' at the border, UNLESS they ask. If they ask then you shouldn't lie unless you want the chance of a ban, so I think what i'm going to do is go through and say the purpose of my visit is purely that, a visit, a holiday, if they ask who etc and go into detail which sometimes they do, sometimes they don't then i'll say visit my fiance. and hopefully the marriage question won't come up.