+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What stuff (food) do you miss from your old home (can you get it here)?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess that the title is about food, but it could include many other things.

I don't miss much, but I do buy items to educate my wife to the oddities of UK food - Prawn cocktail crisps and walnut whips are delights that everyone should try once.
I gave my Indian neighbour some Clacton rock that I bought in the UK, his kids enjoyed it.

Incase other people want Brit food, I have a short list here.

http://www.abitofhome.ca/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

http://paulsimportedbritishfood.com/

http://www.atasteofbritain.ca/

http://www.simplybritishfoods.com/index1.html

http://scottishandirishstore.com/

I use the Scottish and Irish store in Nepean, but with all imported food the items can be expensive and sometimes the best before dates are real close.

So What do you miss and where are your favourite places to buy "home food".

Yes I know we should all buy Canadian, but sometimes ....... you have to scratch that itch :)

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Great topic Baloo!! I have had my sister checking out supermarkets for loads of different stuff i use in recipes (garam masala was my biggest worry!). She moved out there 4yrs ago and I've sent several food parcels to her & her family. I've been told that she won't let us stay at her house if I don't turn up with an M&S Christmas pudding! Marmite is the most requested, although they can finally get it in Safeway now. My youngest nephew needs French Fancies (the little pink, yellow & brown cakes) and toffee crumble. My brother (moved back 17yrs ago) asks for Cheese & onion Walkers, Wotsits, Skips and Jaffa Cakes.
I might need to start up a new import business!!!!
I'm dreaming of BBQ Old Dutch and working my way through the Earls and Dairy Queen menus!! If everything goes to plan we'll be landing 6 months today!! Yippee!

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Haven't moved yet but I was quite sad to find out they don't have grits in Canada. :( It's pretty big down here in the southern part of the USA.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Not to worry aerogurl87, I am able to find grits in the Greater Toronto area, Highland Farms to be specific, and there are some great mail order companies that will send it to you.

I tend to load up when I'm home and keep the "gourmet" variety in the freezer.
My mother has also mailed packages of Quaker grits to me.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
AllisonVSC said:
Not to worry aerogurl87, I am able to find grits in the Greater Toronto area, Highland Farms to be specific, and there are some great mail order companies that will send it to you.

I tend to load up when I'm home and keep the "gourmet" variety in the freezer.
My mother has also mailed packages of Quaker grits to me.
Woohoo! Well that's great news to hear because I stopped eating grits for like a year or so. Then when I found out they had none near where my boyfriend resides I started eating them like crazy when I came back home to the US. Maybe they sell them in Edmonton also, I'll have to check but thanks for the info. :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
aerogurl87 said:
Haven't moved yet but I was quite sad to find out they don't have grits in Canada. :( It's pretty big down here in the southern part of the USA.
Aren't grits rather tasteless without salt and butter? Like rice without the taste or texture? I've never tasted them, but I have read this. Do you defend them?? :)

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Toby,

Yes grits can be undercooked, runny, under-seasoned, burnt and/or ruined in all sorts of ways, but they do have texture, and a discriminating palate can tell stone ground grits from the mass marketed grits made by companies like Quaker. I eat both, by the way. In my humble opinion shrimp and grits is one dish that is heaven on Earth! I also prefer grits with butter instead of fried potatoes with my eggs and bacon at breakfast. They are the perfect accompaniment for a salty country ham. Fried grits with goat cheese and roasted garlic is delicious as well; I have never made this myself but have had it in South Carolina restaurants as an appetizer. I also like to eat grits with Lima beans and fried catfish. Am am partial, I guess. Can you tell I'm southern, lol??

How do you like your grits, aerogurl?

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Well AllisonVSC I love shrimp and grits also myself. I first tried them about 2 years ago and fell in love with them ever since. Usually though I just have grits at breakfast with a little butter on them and either liver pudding or bacon bits mixed in. It's really good with scrambled eggs on the side.

zcollette

Dec 15, 2010
I definitely miss Wheat Hearts. Also Mr. Noodles does not compare to Top Ramen! There is a difference, I can assure you.....