+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What skilled worker means?

Viter

Oct 16, 2009
Hi all,

I got an information that employer can get a permission to work only if candidate is working in one of the fields listed here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

I have two questions about this list. First of all, on the above given page it is written that that this list is for those who wants to apply for immigration as skilled worker. So, it is a bit different from that what I was told to. Just want to be sure. Is that a list of those occupations for which I can get permission to work or it is a list of those occupations for which I can apply for immigration as skilled worker? Or it is the same?

If this list is about work permission, I would like to know the following. If I am not in the list, does it mean that I have no chance to get a work permission or my chances are just small? If am in the list, does it means that I just have a (none zero) chances to get a work permission or it means that it is almost for sure that I will get a permission to work?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Viter

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Viter said:
Hi all,

I got an information that employer can get a permission to work only if candidate is working in one of the fields listed here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

I have two questions about this list. First of all, on the above given page it is written that that this list is for those who wants to apply for immigration as skilled worker. So, it is a bit different from that what I was told to. Just want to be sure. Is that a list of those occupations for which I can get permission to work or it is a list of those occupations for which I can apply for immigration as skilled worker? Or it is the same?

If this list is about work permission, I would like to know the following. If I am not in the list, does it mean that I have no chance to get a work permission or my chances are just small? If am in the list, does it means that I just have a (none zero) chances to get a work permission or it means that it is almost for sure that I will get a permission to work?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Viter
The list of "38" is the list where you have to have worked for 1 year in the past 10 in one of those occupations. If you haven't then you don't qualify for FSW1. If you have experience on the jobs in the list, you still have to reach 67 points to be accepted.

PMM

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The list of "38" is the list where you have to have worked for 1 year in the past 10 in one of those occupations. If you haven't then you don't qualify for FSW1. If you have experience on the jobs in the list, you still have to reach 67 points to be accepted.

PMM
[/quote]

In Brief and to the point.

Viter

Oct 16, 2009
OK. Thank you for the answer. Now I know which requirements one has to fulfill to qualify for FSW1. But what about the "work permissions"? I herd that a foreigner has a chance to get a work permission in Canada only if he/she worked in one of the occupations from the list. Is it true?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Viter said:
OK. Thank you for the answer. Now I know which requirements one has to fulfill to qualify for FSW1. But what about the "work permissions"? I herd that a foreigner has a chance to get a work permission in Canada only if he/she worked in one of the occupations from the list. Is it true?
No, it is not true. To get a work permit, you need to find an employer. The employer has to advertise the job to prove that no Canadian wants it or is qualified for it. He also has to prove that he is offering adequate pay for the work. If the employer gets an approval (LMO) to hire a foreigner, he can send it to you and you can use it to apply for a work permit. The work permit is often issued for 1 or 2 years at a time. After that time, you have to apply to extend it.

The skilled worker program is for permanent residency and not a work permit. There are 3 categories. For category 1 (FSW1) you need to have work experience from the list of 38. For category 2 (FSW2), you need to have an approved job offer (AEO). For category 3 (FSW3), you need to have been in Canada for 12 months or more, working or studying before you apply. You only need to fit one of the categories. If you have a job offer, you fit FSW2 and so it doesn't matter if you have experience in one of the 38 occupations because that is for FSW1.

You can read more about job offers at http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/supperimm.shtml