+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What PR residency requirements needed to PROVE you have lived in Canada

TechJohn

Dec 7, 2011
Okay, My PR card is at the local immigration office and I have already been there. I did not being my old US passport that was asked of the agent. On the blue form that was mailed to me by immigations canada, it ask to being in my existing pr card, my us passport, and a form imm 1000 or imm5292. I believe one of these two forms were stapled inside my passport and eventually, this form worked it self from the staple and became lost.

I Do not recall if the agent required these forms but, she did ask if I had worked for a employer within the last two years. I said no, because I work for my self. I said I worked for a employer four years ago which was "company name x" and she said "I do not know that company" She said at a minimum, being your passport in next time.

Now, how does my old passport, which expired jan of 2011, prove my residency in Canada?

What are other ways to prove I was in canada? list of schools I attended?
List of all the customers I visited ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are only looking at the past 5 years before you applied to renew your PR card because they will not consider any other period.

They want to see your passport stamps, that is why they ask for the passport. You can order your travel history from CBSA at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-priv-eng.html Hopefully, the info CBSA has on your travels matches what you wrote on your PR renewal application. This would support your case.

Other proof that you were in Canada could for example be bank records and phone bills, letters from clients or copies of bills you have sent to your clients. Do you have a day planner for your day to day appointments? Do you keep them from year to year? Such a planner would help.

A letter from the employer you worked for. I suppose you got a reference letter from them when you quit. Old pay slips if you have any. Bank records show you getting your salary on a regular basis.

Courses you have attended and records of that will also help.

If you visit the doctor/dentist every now and then, it can also help to get them to write a letter to what dates you were there because doctors and dentists are respected persons and will be believed if they say you were at their office on such and such dates.

Each piece of evidence may not be worth much by itself but if you have enough, it works together and becomes stronger.

wilbur71

Dec 9, 2012
I would definitely second Leon's advice to order your travel history from the CBSA. I ordered mine in advance of preparing my PR Card renewal application and used it to put together the list of absences from Canada that I submitted as part of my application. It took just under two months for the CBSA to send me my complete travel history. It was tremendously helpful, and free of charge.

Note that the travel history includes dates (and even times!) of entry to Canada, but not exits from Canada. To support the days of your exits, documents such as boarding cards, printouts of e-tickets, and even frequent flyer statements can help. And, of course, stamps in your passport, but not all countries (such as the US) stamp passports on a regular basis.

wilbur71

Dec 9, 2012
With regard to the lost IMM5292 form, it's important to replace it. The application to do so is available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp

I had accidentally lost mine a while ago (stupid mistake, but alas, such things happen in life). Although it says that it takes 6 months to obtain the certified copy (actually what they now send you is an official Verification of Status and not a copy of the original), I waited just over three months.

Good luck!