+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the best canadian bank

Investocrat

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Winnipeg
Difficult question to answer in my opinion.

If you are thinking of the best option for free chequing and savings, I think Tangerine: https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/tangerine-bank-review-no-fee-daily-banking/

For the best savings interest rate, I use EQ Bank and think they fit the bill in that regard: https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/high-interest-savings-accounts-canada/

For banking in general, I really don't know. I have had mixed experiences with RBC, TD and CIBC. They all have their pros and cons and the best may end up depending on what your banking needs are.

What is the best canadian bank?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I started first with RBC, but they have account maintenance charges for all there bank account. first 6 months were free.. They do have a large network of ATMs etc in the country...

at the onset of 6 months, I switched to TD. They helped me with all processes on the same day, Account, Savings, Credit Card(no annual fee TD Aeroplan) and bank locker.
They have an All inclusive banking plan. No monthly fee if you maintain $5,000 or more in your account at the end of each day in the month
You can look at alternate account options here as well: https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/bank-accounts

Since then, I haven't thought about moving to another bank.

There are other options such as CIBC and a complete online bank account called Tangerine as @Investocrat highlighted above

Reactions: Wolverine17

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
There is no such thing.
And "best" depending on what you need. Customer service vs low/free of charges vs lots of branches/ATMs

Green Stone

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
all banks providing same offer if you maintain your minimum balance 3000- 4000$ per day . But for new immigrants no minimum balance restrictions for one year .

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
For fist year TD is good.

Just let them know you are new immigrant. After that it will be expensive for full account its going to be 29.99 per month

Good luck

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
Similarly to the mobile operators also banks have established an oligopoly in Canada. They are all the same, with only cosmetic differences. If one starts offering some new products, you can be sure that the rest will follow soon.Same goes for fees - if one starts charging them or increase them, rest of the banks will do the same.

And if a new kid shows on the block, like ING few years ago, you can be sure that it will be acquired by the big ones sooner or later.

Last edited: