+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is exactly an Academic Year?

lina.6891

Aug 22, 2018
I am filling my Federal Skilled worker profile and there is one question that I am not sure how to answer:

Complete/full academic years (required)

I took a Program that started on August 12th 2019 and I finished on May 28th 2020 (About 9.5 months)
There are not breaks included in this program (besides 1 week that we have to wait meanwhile the college released the classes grades in order to let us start the internship)
This program was given by a college in Montreal, QC.
The program has 32 credits (45 hours per credit, for a total of 1.440 hours of study including home study, classes, internships and projects)
The program was 845 hours of classes.

The transcripts are not specific enough about the length of the program, also people who was given a longer student permit they were able to take breaks for up to three months. Unfortunately my student permit only allows me 9 months of study, so I finished this course just one week before my student permit was expired.

Since this program length varies from 8 to 9.5 months it is valid if I input 1 academic year?

I read that one academic year is 900 hours or 27 credits or also can be 2 terms of 4 months??. I am so confused about how this works in Canada.
Please help!!!

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I am filling my Federal Skilled worker profile and there is one question that I am not sure how to answer:

Complete/full academic years (required)

I took a Program that started on August 12th 2019 and I finished on May 28th 2020 (About 9.5 months)
There are not breaks included in this program (besides 1 week that we have to wait meanwhile the college released the classes grades in order to let us start the internship)
This program was given by a college in Montreal, QC.
The program has 32 credits (45 hours per credit, for a total of 1.440 hours of study including home study, classes, internships and projects)
The program was 845 hours of classes.

The transcripts are not specific enough about the length of the program, also people who was given a longer student permit they were able to take breaks for up to three months. Unfortunately my student permit only allows me 9 months of study, so I finished this course just one week before my student permit was expired.

Since this program length varies from 8 to 9.5 months it is valid if I input 1 academic year?

I read that one academic year is 900 hours or 27 credits or also can be 2 terms of 4 months??. I am so confused about how this works in Canada.
Please help!!!
Generally yes, 2 semesters is 1 academic year but Quebec is a little weird. For PGWP purposes at least, if you studied in Quebec then they calculate your PGWP length by credits. Check the official website for more info