+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens to my G1 if I relocate before G2 road test?

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got my G1 Ontario license today by clearing the written test. I am planning to join an MTO approved driving school soon in Hamilton. I would like to know if I relocate to another province before I take my G2 road test will my Ontario G1 be invalid in the new province? meaning I would have to take the G1 written test again in the new province?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would enter a new province with the same level in the GDL system as you had in Ontario and get a license equivalent to the G1. However, not all provinces allow you to shorten the waiting time to take the G1 equivalent road test after 8 months so you may have to wait for the road test in your new province until 12 months have passed since you got your G1 license in Ontario.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I was just curious, as the OP was listed as PNP. If he is a PNP for Ontario and hasn't yet even been here a full month, based on his signature in his name, wouldn't he be in breach of his PNP and at risk for loosing his PR if he immediately packs up and leaves? Just wondering.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
I was just curious, as the OP was listed as PNP. If he is a PNP for Ontario and hasn't yet even been here a full month, based on his signature in his name, wouldn't he be in breach of his PNP and at risk for loosing his PR if he immediately packs up and leaves? Just wondering.
This is a common question but truth be told, there is no concrete requirement to live in the PNP province for any set amount of time. They make the applicant sign that they intend to settle there. This must be true at the time they apply and at the time they land. Otherwise they could later be accused of misrepresentation.

A couple of years ago, immigration added landing checks for PNP applicants so that if a PNP applicant lands outside his PNP province, he may well be asked to explain why and how he is planning on going there. If the immigration officer is not certain that a PNP applicant intends to settle in the PNP province, they may withhold their PR documents and send them to their PNP office for an interview where they would have to convince their PNP of their intentions.

However, after landing, there are no further checks. I suppose that if immigration decides that they will start checking up on PR's after the fact, they could go after people who moved soon after getting their PR. Therefore, it would be wise to stay for a few months at least. However, currently, they are not doing anything like that.

As for the drivers license, it would be smart for him to stay for 8 months, long enough to get his G2 license after completing his course. For health care, it would be smart to stay at least 6 months because then they can not accuse him of having abused their health care and it will cover him in his new province after he moves until he gets health care there.

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon & Alurra71
Thanks for your replies. In my case, I graduated from university and left Canada in May 2010, and reentered Canada in Nov 2013 on a work visa.

I did my PR landing on Dec 23/2013. I filed my PR application while I was outside of Canada.

I have no intention of packing and moving to another province right away. For sure I will continue with my current job (in an university) for another 5/6 months. But pretty soon I will be starting job hunt related to my field and may be.. depending on my job search and if I am lucky .. I move to Alberta where you have heavy concentration of engineering jobs. I am just keeping things in perspective. I wish to stay here for next 8 months and finish my G2 road test, but in the mean time if I get lucky in my job search in Alberta I may pack..