+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if I overstay 30 days+ outside Ontario after applying for OHIP?

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
After applying for OHIP as a new PR, I’m not allowed to stay out of Ontario for more than 30 days in the following 6 months. However, due to some emergencies, I might be out of Ontario for 40 days. What would happen in that case?? Will my OHIP be cancelled? Will they blacklist me or something?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
After applying for OHIP as a new PR, I’m not allowed to stay out of Ontario for more than 30 days in the following 6 months. However, due to some emergencies, I might be out of Ontario for 40 days. What would happen in that case?? Will my OHIP be cancelled? Will they blacklist me or something?
You need to inform OHIP and they will likely cancel your coverage. You will then be subject to the waiting period again when you come back to Canada and reapply.

If you don't inform OHIP of your extended absence, you will be committing healthcare fraud.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
You need to inform OHIP and they will likely cancel your coverage. You will then be subject to the waiting period again when you come back to Canada and reapply.

If you don't inform OHIP of your extended absence, you will be committing healthcare fraud.
Healthcare fraud? That seems excessive.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you aren’t eligible (according to the legislation) and make a claim, it’s fraud. Not that they would, but it is a “possibility”. It would require that they prove intent to defraud the healthcare system.
The most likely outcome would be a requirement to repay for any treatments you receive while ineligible. A trip to a clinic.....hundred bucks. A lung transplant.....significantly more.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Province of Ontario wants to ensure that you are settling Ontario. You'd be surprised what do or try to do. Also isn't too much to ask. Not being away for over 30 days in the first 6 months is very a reasonable requirement.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
If you aren’t eligible (according to the legislation) and make a claim, it’s fraud. Not that they would, but it is a “possibility”. It would require that they prove intent to defraud the healthcare system.
The most likely outcome would be a requirement to repay for any treatments you receive while ineligible. A trip to a clinic.....hundred bucks. A lung transplant.....significantly more.
I’m perfectly healthy and have barely gone to a doctor for anything, so claiming for anything is out of question. That’s not my concern. My concern is if it’s as easy as making a call to OHIP telling them to put a hold on my application because I’ll be out of Ontario for over 30 days and if I can re-apply seamlessly again when I’m back?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I’m perfectly healthy and have barely gone to a doctor for anything, so claiming for anything is out of question. That’s not my concern. My concern is if it’s as easy as making a call to OHIP telling them to put a hold on my application because I’ll be out of Ontario for over 30 days and if I can re-apply seamlessly again when I’m back?
You do understand that even the healthiest people can have an accident (a car accident for example). And those are the one that can turn out to be expensive.

As long as you are a PR you can reapply later. Just check with Service Ontario.
Good luck

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Does Service Ontario ( provincial level) co-ordinates with CBSA ( federal) to track people who are out of Canada for more than 30 days ? What about people who spend significant time in other provinces without informing Service Ontario?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Does Service Ontario ( provincial level) co-ordinates with CBSA ( federal) to track people who are out of Canada for more than 30 days ? What about people who spend significant time in other provinces without informing Service Ontario?
They generally rely on people to be honest, hence why so many get away with fraud.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are spending significant time in another province without switching your healthcare over to the other province leaves you exposed. There are reciprocity agreements between the provinces but things like air ambulances may not be covered, etc. If you are in the wrong you may have to cover some of the costs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are going to be out of the province for over 30 days you should inform service Ontario and then you will have to start the 3 month waiting period again.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes it's a very easy process. You can just call OHIP and tell them, and most likely they will tell you to simply re-apply when back in Ontario permanently. Worst case you will just need to do the 3-month waiting period starting the day you return. It won't be a problem as long as you're honest with them about your travels and time spent outside Ontario.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Yes, there is definitely coordination and the provincial governments do have access to border records.