+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What documents should I bring to a citizenship hearing

chx

Oct 13, 2012
I have a citizenship application ongoing since 2013 (old rules) and I have my hearing on Tuesday. The notice says "all your original documents that support your citizenship application (as listen in the document checklist in the citizenship application form)" but that form now is for the new rules. So what documents does this refer to? I will obviously bring passports, PR card.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Bring the following:
1) originals of all days documents you submitted with your application
2) whether you receive. RQ or not, bring originals of all days submitted or that you should have had to submit under RQ CIT 171 - full RQ. This include , but not limited to
all passports during relevant period and certified translation of all foreign stamps
Evidence of employment for you and your spouse
Tax fillings for your and your spouse
Utilities bills
Home ownership documents or rental agreement
Bank and credit card statements
Health records for you and your family
Educations records you and your family
Community service records for you and your family

All these documents should be provided for the RELEVANT PERIOD i.e. 4 years before the date of your application. You may not have all, do your best to gather the most.

By the way, what do you think is the issue with your application?

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
chx said:
I have a citizenship application ongoing since 2013 (old rules) and I have my hearing on Tuesday. The notice says "all your original documents that support your citizenship application (as listen in the document checklist in the citizenship application form)" but that form now is for the new rules. So what documents does this refer to? I will obviously bring passports, PR card.
Is this a hearing with hearing officer or is this a citizenship test + interview? If it's the later, need documents per the notice you received

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
All the best for your hearing! If you were short of number of days; I wud suggest prepare to show ur present links with Canada and also that you are eligible under the new rule if some sort of documentation plus letter to give to the CJ at the last moment when you wrapping up from the hearing may be a good idea.

Also how long DID IT TAKE FOR THR CJ HEARING TO BE SCHEILED from the time of test?
Wud appreciate if you share ur experience after the hearing and the outcome.

chx

Oct 13, 2012
Application was 2013 March 6, test was 2014 May 7, citizenship judge hearing is 2016 February 16.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
chx said:
Application was 2013 March 6, test was 2014 May 7, citizenship judge hearing is 2016 February 16.
Bring the following (or the most you can find):
1) originals of all days documents you submitted with your application
2) whether you receive. RQ or not, bring originals of all days submitted or that you should have had to submit under RQ CIT 171 - full RQ. This include , but not limited to
all passports during relevant period and certified translation of all foreign stamps
Evidence of employment for you and your spouse
Tax fillings for your and your spouse
Utilities bills
Home ownership documents or rental agreement
Bank and credit card statements
Health records for you and your family
Educations records you and your family
Community service records for you and your family

All these documents should be provided for the RELEVANT PERIOD i.e. 4 years before the date of your application. You may not have all, do your best to gather the most.

By the way, what do you think is the issue with your application?

chx

Oct 13, 2012
I have almost nothing on paper. OK, I have Notices of Assesments and the mortgage/title of my apartment but every utility bill, travel document, bank record is electronic. How is that original if I print it...?

And anyways, isn't this pointless? How does any of this prove I was resident? Not even the tax notices -- I can work remotely easily...

And I know what's the issue with my application, I am short on days. I am eligible under the new rules, I am not eligible under the old ones but how could I've known in 2013 there'll be new rules? So I filed and hoped because my employer have stated many of travels were work required and paid for. My average over seven years is some 111 days out of country per year -- old rules allow for 90, new ones 120, so that's that.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chx said:
I have almost nothing on paper. OK, I have Notices of Assesments and the mortgage/title of my apartment but every utility bill, travel document, bank record is electronic. How is that original if I print it...?

And anyways, isn't this pointless? How does any of this prove I was resident? Not even the tax notices -- I can work remotely easily...

And I know what's the issue with my application, I am short on days. I am eligible under the new rules, I am not eligible under the old ones but how could I've known in 2013 there'll be new rules? So I filed and hoped because my employer have stated many of travels were work required and paid for. My average over seven years is some 111 days out of country per year -- old rules allow for 90, new ones 120, so that's that.
If you already know then why ask. The forum gives you advice/suggestion. The call is yours to follow or not. The documents suggested by the fellow member should be in printed format. Judge will not look into electronic documents. Bills and receipts does not prove that you have been physically here but shows judge that you may have a life here. Still if you have less days than required it is a coin toss. The judge can rule in your favor or against. If the judge rules in your favor again CIC can challenge it, then you go to court against CIC.

So good luck

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
chikloo said:
If you already know then why ask. The forum gives you advice/suggestion. The call is yours to follow or not. The documents suggested by the fellow member should be in printed format. Judge will not look into electronic documents. Bills and receipts does not prove that you have been physically here but shows judge that you may have a life here. Still if you have less days than required it is a coin toss. The judge can rule in your favor or against. If the judge rules in your favor again CIC can challenge it, then you go to court against CIC.

So good luck
Thanks chikloo and +1 for you.

To chx: "If you already know then why ask. The forum gives you advice/suggestion. The call is yours to follow or not. The documents suggested by the fellow member should be in printed format. "

chx

Oct 13, 2012
So today was the hearing. The dreaded travel documentation didn't come up, that's for the CIC office to verify and in my case it was so I didn't need that (phew!) -- I didn't reprint the, I dunno, hundred or more pages documenting my travels. Rather the judge wanted to know how could we justify an exception and I was like "when I decided to lend a hand to my brother to help with my baby nephew it looked like the right thing to do at the time and I never expected I will need to defend this decision in front of a judge". The whole application is a crapshoot but the judge was fair and friendly and I might get a positive answer which in turn the minister might appeal so we are nowhere near done.

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
chx said:
Rather the judge wanted to know how could we justify an exception and I was like "when I decided to lend a hand to my brother to help with my baby nephew it looked like the right thing to do at the time and I never expected I will need to defend this decision in front of a judge". The whole application is a crapshoot but the judge was fair and friendly and I might get a positive answer which in turn the minister might appeal so we are nowhere near done.
Thanks for your feedback. Hope you get the approval soon. Meanwhile there are few like me waiting in the queue for CJ hearing more than 6 months after the test. Just curious to know which is your office as your CJ hearingtook almost > 18 months.
Like you, I was thinking to wait until Apr 16 and then decide to withdraw/ reapply after seeing the outcome. My office could be Mississauga or Scarborough as test was given in Missisauga and then transferred to Scarborough.

y-axisoverseas

Dec 16, 2015
To apply for Citizenship:

- One must provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French).
- Be a Permanent Resident (PR) Declare that you plan to live in Canada after you become a citizen. Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 4 years out of the 6 years (1,460 days) before you apply.

I wish you good luck.

For more information on the same you could refer to Canada’s official migration website: www.cic.gc.ca

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
y-axisoverseas said:
To apply for Citizenship:

- One must provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French).
- Be a Permanent Resident (PR) Declare that you plan to live in Canada after you become a citizen. Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 4 years out of the 6 years (1,460 days) before you apply.

I wish you good luck.

For more information on the same you could refer to Canada’s official migration website: www.cic.gc.ca
Again, please stop spamming this forum with useless and often completely irrelevant answers just to promote your immigration agency. In case anyone is reading this, y-axis is a fraud / scam agency. Do not use them. Google "y-axis scam" and read the reviews. For example: http://www.grahakseva.com/topic/y-axis-overseas

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have to bring any documents for the citizenship test meeting with office post test besides the information on the test letter. Did not keep copy of my applicaiton since i printed it off and mailed to them. Do i need copies of my online calculator, again submitted with application. What about other things like mortgage, job salary information, utilities,etc for this after test interview.