+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the rules regarding Quebec after you get PR through FSW?

Feb 2, 2020
A friend of mine lives in Alberta, he is finishing his degree at U of Calgary. He's visited Montreal and apparently liked it a lot. He asked me how things work. As far as I know, you can't go there through the federal programs. They have their own programs that you have to apply to. Nonetheless, as I understand it after you get PR you can live and work anywhere you want, regardless of the province.

My friend knows French, he could get a job there no trouble, but currently what he wants to do is get a job in Alberta, stay there for a while and maybe then make the move to Quebec. However, he's worried about citizenship and whether he'll be asked any questions if he moves to Quebec in the future. His idea was to move to Montreal with a remote job from Alberta.

I'm not sure how any of that works, and I'm not quite certain what to tell him. I don't suppose someone around here could give me some advice on that? I would appreciate it.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
As long as he does not use the provincial nomination stream for Alberta, He will be good to move to Quebec. Why is he considering FSW when he currently lives in Canada? Why not CEC, which is much faster?

Feb 2, 2020
As long as he does not use the provincial nomination stream for Alberta, He will be good to move to Quebec. Why is he considering FSW when he currently lives in Canada? Why not CEC, which is much faster?
I mean, he could, but he was a student, and he doesn't need to go for FSW. He's got 570 points already, way beyond what's needed anymore. Dude has some crazy credentials, worked like 5 years before coming to Canada, learned French in 3 years, and passed TEF with B2 pretty easily. On top of that he just got a master's degree from UofA in record time. Guy already got invited anyway.

He asked a couple of other questions such as:

1. If he gets a remote job in Alberta can he move to Quebec after getting PR without issue? Should he wait a bit?
2. If he gets a remote job with a company that has a Quebec office only, can that cause him trouble in his application?

D

Deleted member 1083629

I mean, he could, but he was a student, and he doesn't need to go for FSW. He's got 570 points already, way beyond what's needed anymore. Dude has some crazy credentials, worked like 5 years before coming to Canada, learned French in 3 years, and passed TEF with B2 pretty easily. On top of that he just got a master's degree from UofA in record time. Guy already got invited anyway.

He asked a couple of other questions such as:

1. If he gets a remote job in Alberta can he move to Quebec after getting PR without issue? Should he wait a bit?
2. If he gets a remote job with a company that has a Quebec office only, can that cause him trouble in his application?
1. He can move to Quebec as according to rules and regulations, PRs have freedom to move. The only thing is that when they ask him for address where to send his PR card, it's better to give the address outside of Quebec.
2. Not sure. One of the rules is that he should demonstrate his intention of staying outside of Quebec. Working for the company in Quebec can be viewed as a breach of that rule. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Feb 2, 2020
1. He can move to Quebec as according to rules and regulations, PRs have freedom to move. The only thing is that when they ask him for address where to send his PR card, it's better to give the address outside of Quebec.
2. Not sure. One of the rules is that he should demonstrate his intention of staying outside of Quebec. Working for the company in Quebec can be viewed as a breach of that rule. It's better to be safe than sorry.
He won't move until after he gets PR and even then he's told me he would rather wait before doing that. How long should he wait?

As for the other part, the companies are in Quebec but they're remote. He won't be living there. I've been told conflicting things about that and about how résidence and place of work are different. Some people say that the workplace doesn't matter as long as you reside outside Quebec, but I don't really know. I live in Ontario.

D

Deleted member 1083629

He won't move until after he gets PR and even then he's told me he would rather wait before doing that. How long should he wait?
There is no timeline on "waiting". Waiting isn't necessary as once he becomes a PR he has a freedom of movement.

As for the other part, the companies are in Quebec but they're remote. He won't be living there. I've been told conflicting things about that and about how résidence and place of work are different. Some people say that the workplace doesn't matter as long as you reside outside Quebec, but I don't really know. I live in Ontario.
That's outside of my knowledge. Maybe @legalfalcon can help in this case.

Feb 2, 2020
There is no timeline on "waiting". Waiting isn't necessary as once he becomes a PR he has a freedom of movement.
I see. Thank you for this information, I will tell them that. Still gotta wonder, if they move there, remote job in hand from Alberta, does that cause trouble down the line when they apply for citizenship? I would say no, but this is beyond my knowledge.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

When applying for FSWP working for a Quebec based employer could raise some concerns that he is not truly not living in Quebec and doesn’t have intentions of living in Quebec. Once he becomes a PR there aren’t any issues working remotely for a Quebec employer from Alberta. You have freedom of movement once you are a PR. Personally wouldn’t move the next day because it seems pretty blatant that moving to Quebec was your plan the whole time. If looking for a job I would apply to some jobs outside Quebec before moving to Quebec and keep the records or even wait until you get your PR card and then relocate to Quebec. Would at least give it a few weeks personally but that’s being overly cautious.

Feb 2, 2020
When applying for FSWP working for a Quebec based employer could raise some concerns that he is not truly not living in Quebec and doesn’t have intentions of living in Quebec. Once he becomes a PR there aren’t any issues working remotely for a Quebec employer from Alberta. You have freedom of movement once you are a PR. Personally wouldn’t move the next day because it seems pretty blatant that moving to Quebec was your plan the whole time. If looking for a job I would apply to some jobs outside Quebec before moving to Quebec and keep the records or even wait until you get your PR card and then relocate to Quebec. Would at least give it a few weeks personally but that’s being overly cautious.
That's not what he's doing. He's not applying to Quebec's programs. He's applying to the federal programs, however he's getting attention from Quebec employers that hire remotely.

What if they work for an Alberta company that does remote work and they move to Quebec? What happens there and is that a potential issue for when they apply for citizenship?