+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wanting to move to Newfoundland from the US, need help

CDDC87

Jan 20, 2011
I live in the US, my other half lives in Newfoundland. We met back in 2009, on a forum site. We started 'officially' dating around March 2010, and in May 2010 I went up to visit him. Then in June/July 2010 we ended up separating, although we continued to communicate through text and Facebook every now and then. In November-December of 2010, we started dating again, and in June 2011 I went up to visit again. We ended up separating again shortly after I returned home. The distance puts a large amount of strain on our relationship, which is why it's so sporadic, but we want to be together. The only reason we aren't is simply because I live here and he lives there. We are currently apart, but if there's a way for us to be physically together we want to take it.
Our only foreseeable option is for me to move up there, because him coming down here is more or less out of the question. He's going to school for computer systems and networking and working part time as a carpenter with his father. He has about a year and a half until he finishes school, and is somewhat financially stable. I, on the other hand, work part time for minimum wage, and am not attending school. I have no real skills that would let me apply for a work visa, and I'm lacking in the financial area.
From the research we've done beforehand, it looks like we're going to have to wait until he finishes school and moves out of his parent's house and starts making decent money before he tries to sponsor me. What I'm wanting to know is, is there any way that I can move up there sooner? And if not, is there anyone on here who's been in a similar situation? I'd like all the background info and tips that I can get, told to me straight by a real person who's gone through the procedure. I've read almost everything I can read about sponsorships and quite frankly it makes my head spin. If someone can take me through the motions we'd really appreciate it.

....This situation is quite taxing on both parties' emotions, so the sooner this is resolved the sooner we can sleep better. Thanks.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Hi there. I am from the US as well and happened to fall in love with a fellow Newfie man too. Lol.
Seems like you have plenty of questions but maybe if you could simplify them a bit more I would be able to answer better. Like what are the areas in which you are needing help? I will try and answer some the questions you have already asked though.

1. He can still sponsor no matter if he is living on his own or not, whether he is in school, or just a minimum wage job. There is no financial requirements for him to be able to sponsor you. As well it does not matter if you are only working part-time and not in school.

2. No he does not have to finish schooling, move out of his parents, or "make decent money" before sponsoring you. You just need to have a qualifying relationship along with required documents/funds and proof of your genuine relationship. You can apply as soon as you have those in place and feel ready.

3. Technically you can't "move" until you are a Permanent Resident but you can come visit during your application process until your application is approved as long as your status continues to be extended and valid.

I could PM you if you would like and need more help. Just let me know.

CDDC87

Jan 20, 2011
I actually would like a little more help, Love_Young, but for some reason the board's telling me that I'm not allowed to send PMs. :/

If you can email me, I'll post my address and then edit it out.

jamaicanincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
AOR Received.
03-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-05-2011
Med's Done....
01-03-2011
Passport Req..
28-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-11-2011
Also for him to sponsor you would either need to get married or live together for 12 continuous months (common-law).

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
CDDC87 said:
I actually would like a little more help, Love_Young, but for some reason the board's telling me that I'm not allowed to send PMs. :/

If you can email me, I'll post my address and then edit it out.
I'll message you then. :)

CDDC87

Jan 20, 2011
Looks like I don't have enough posts to answer your PM yet. Let me post around a bit and I'll get back to you asap.