+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for first PR card but need to change address

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm waiting for my first PR card after submitting my photos to the Edmonton office in November 2020. I received a job offer in a different province and will have to move within a month. What is the best way to update IRCC regarding a change of address? Has anyone been in a similar situation and could help?

Thanks a lot!

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Your application for PR card can be linked to your MyCIC account. Once linked you can update your mailing address over there. Otherwise, you can call their phone number and update the address.

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
Your application for PR card can be linked to your MyCIC account. Once linked you can update your mailing address over there. Otherwise, you can call their phone number and update the address.
Hi there,

I don't see a place to update my address on my profile, even after linking my application. I will try to call them.

I had another question about the COPR document. The document on my CIC profile says it expires March 2021, however in the letter itself it says I can use this letter for 1 year. Which one is accurate? I'm a little confused. Another thing, if I don't receive my PR card by the time this COPR document expires, does that revoke my PR status and I have to go through the entire PR process again? Or I would have to reapply for just the card even though the COPR has expired?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Are you a PNP? Just be careful with that.

COPR expiry dates are not really important after you've landed, they remain valid as a proof of your PR status.

PR card has no bearing on COPR, neither have anything to do with your status as a landed PR, in the sense that they are just documents which confirm your PR status, what matters now is your residency obligations.. Don't worry about the documents per se, you should just keep the COPR as a proof of your status, and you need your PR card mainly to re-enter the country from abroad, and sometimes within the country depending on the province to access services.

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
No, I'm not PNP. I got my PR under the CEC category just recently and didn't have to go through any official landing procedure due to Covid. The only document I received was a letter on my CIC profile stating its a CoPR and that document is valid until March 2021 (6 months from when I received the document) and I can use the letter for a year accompanied by a travel document to enter and leave Canada.

I'm a little concerned with my move as well, in case they accidentally send it to my old address and I don't get it on time before the CoPR expires. What would happen then? Would I have to reapply for just a card or go through the entire PR application process again?
Are you a PNP? Just be careful with that.

COPR expiry dates are not really important after you've landed, they remain valid as a proof of your PR status.

PR card has no bearing on COPR, neither have anything to do with your status as a landed PR, in the sense that they are just documents which confirm your PR status, what matters now is your residency obligations.. Don't worry about the documents per se, you should just keep the COPR as a proof of your status, and you need your PR card mainly to re-enter the country from abroad, and sometimes within the country depending on the province to access services.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
No, I'm not PNP. I got my PR under the CEC category just recently and didn't have to go through any official landing procedure due to Covid. The only document I received was a letter on my CIC profile stating its a CoPR and that document is valid until March 2021 (6 months from when I received the document) and I can use the letter for a year accompanied by a travel document to enter and leave Canada.

I'm a little concerned with my move as well, in case they accidentally send it to my old address and I don't get it on time before the CoPR expires. What would happen then? Would I have to reapply for just a card or go through the entire PR application process again?
No you just reapply for the PR card. Try calling the hotline and asking them to change the address for you on your PR card application.