+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitors Visa having left Canada on weird terms

ruicosta123

Dec 13, 2016
Hey guys,

I lived in Canada for two and a half years - two of which were on the IEC Working Holiday visa. At the end of the two years, my company agreed to sponsor me and at the end of April I applied for a temporary extension on the grounds that I was applying for PR. I never received a decision on either, as I left the company I was working for in mid October and returned to Ireland a few weeks later. I have since found a job etc. but would like to return on holiday next year. I have an active ETA until 2021.

Is there any possibility that this could be seen as an overstay? I have had a sudden bout of paranoia over it all, I changed addresses a couple of times in the last few months and am worried I might have missed a work permit refusal or something at some point. Based on this information, does it sound like I would have trouble getting in as a visitor? Also, if I did, would that effect my ability to get into the US in future?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IECs cannot be extended and don't benefit from implied status. So any work you complete after your IEC expired was illegal work - that part is pretty black and white.

Having said that, since the ETA was approved, I don't think this should cause issues at the border provided you're going for a normal visit (i.e. normal length of a couple of weeks or so). Just in case, I would bring some evidence with you that shows ties to your home country (e.g. proof of employment, property ownership, property rental, etc.).

I would probably be a good idea to let six months pass from the time you left Canada before you try to re-enter.

ruicosta123

Dec 13, 2016
I got the ETA in April, so it was before any of this became a problem (IEC expired on May 2). Does that complicate things?

Other people I know, including my girlfriend, did the IEC and went onto "implied status" (BOWP?) at the end of their visa and continued working. My gf's was approved, and she received a visa through September 2017 and looks set to get her PR. My housemate's application was refused and she stopped working right away, then went home a few weeks later. She since came in and out on a working holiday visa.

I was advised to submit an application to stay in Canada on a temporary due to having an ongoing PR/LMIA application by the immigration lawyer my company brought in. Does this sound right to you?

If, in a worst case scenario, immigration view it as a six month overstay how much of an effect will this have on my ability to travel to Canada? If it does stop me from entering Canada will it stop me from entering the US by proxy (I have read that they share records?)?

Thanks again

ruicosta123

Dec 13, 2016
To clarify, my gf's visa expired in June 2016, she applied for the extension as it was expiring and received it in September.

ruicosta123

Dec 13, 2016
Also the housemate didn't come in and out on a working holiday visa, she came in and out for a regular holiday. Sorry for the confusion!