+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor's extension question

Mar 18, 2007
I have a friend who is a Japanese national and has come here on a visitor's visa exemption around August 2008. She applied for an extension around February and has still not gotten a reply back from immigration even up until now.

Is there a way we can follow up on the application? I do see on the website that it may take several months for immigration to reply with an decision but in the mean time, is there any other means of proving this implied status if she decides to leave soon? From what I understand, she has an implied status that will grant her 83 days of stay until a decision has been made.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right now, they are saying 79 days: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res

She has implied status until she gets a reply. I do not think it would be advisable to leave now if she wants to stay on. She may not be let back in.

Mar 18, 2007
Leon, thank for the reply. Is there any way we can confirm that they have received and acknowledged the application? My only concern is that my friend may be mistaken as a over stayer if the application has somehow not been processed. If she still has not received an reply in 3 months after submitting the application, should she check with her embassy?

Thanks,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did she make a copy of the application before sending it? Did she send it by courier, registered mail or any way she'd have a receipt from? She could call CIC and ask if they can tell her anything.