+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa on a New Passport

A13

Aug 24, 2021
Hi,

My mother is here in Canada on visitor Visa right now, but her Passport is expiring in January 2022. Once she gets her new passport, will she need to apply for a fresh Visitor Visa again or can she apply for extension??

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

My mother is here in Canada on visitor Visa right now, but her Passport is expiring in January 2022. Once she gets her new passport, will she need to apply for a fresh Visitor Visa again or can she apply for extension??

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.
Depends.

If she wants to remain in Canada longer, then she applies for an extension.

If she wants to be able to leave and then return for a visit later, she needs a new TRV.

A13

Aug 24, 2021
Depends.

If she wants to remain in Canada longer, then she applies for an extension.

If she wants to be able to leave and then return for a visit later, she needs a new TRV.
Thankyou for the reply.

I want her to stay with me , but if she applies for extension and by the time she she gets her visitor record. She won't have her passport renewed. I am planning to get her passport renewed from Canada but I think it takes 4 to 6 months for processing and getting a new passport.
So, should she go back and apply for a fresh visitor visa on her new passport or can she still apply for extension on her old passport which is valid till Jan 2021.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thankyou for the reply.

I want her to stay with me , but if she applies for extension and by the time she she gets her visitor record. She won't have her passport renewed. I am planning to get her passport renewed from Canada but I think it takes 4 to 6 months for processing and getting a new passport.
So, should she go back and apply for a fresh visitor visa on her new passport or can she still apply for extension on her old passport which is valid till Jan 2021.
IRCC won't give her an extension beyond the expiry date on her current passport.

A13

Aug 24, 2021
IRCC won't give her an extension beyond the expiry date on her current passport.
Thankyou again for the clarification.
Now the only doubt I have is , if my mother do get her passport renewed before Jan 2021 (let's say in december), can she apply for her extension with her new passport or will she only get extension on her old passport?
I want to thankyou for taking out time to answer my query.Appreciate it.

abhi.2207

Sep 24, 2020
Thankyou again for the clarification.
Now the only doubt I have is , if my mother do get her passport renewed before Jan 2021 (let's say in december), can she apply for her extension with her new passport or will she only get extension on her old passport?
I want to thankyou for taking out time to answer my query.Appreciate it.
Did you get an answer?
I have the similar situation.
My mom got a new passport (because it was expiring - passport and visa stamp is still valid) before her current visitor visa stay expired in Canada.
Now we applied for extension and new passport stamp.
The application we filed online we submitted both forms.
Question is
1st: Is the this correct way of filing? (there were no options of getting visa stamped on new passport online except to ask for extension and stamp in same application)
2nd: Since it is taking longer these days for processing, its possible that her visa expires before extension comes in or visa is stamped. Can she stay in Canada till then?