+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for my dependent brother

Jas12345

Nov 22, 2021
Hello all,
I am Canadian PR and want to apply visitor visa for my parents and brother.
My parents are retired govt professionals. They also have property in the city they live.
I have an elder brother who is 38 years old but he is dependent on my parents due to some mental illness.
He is perfectly fine to talk and very healthy but he never involved with other kids during his childhood and was scared so he quit studying. He was the brain MRI is all correct with no issues.
I would really appreciate answers and suggestions for the below asked.

1. Will a psychiatrist be able help and determine what is wrong??
2. I want to apply visitor visa for all three of them, will showing him as dependent be a good idea. Because he is actually dependent as he don't know how to cook or earn any money. Neither he knows basic calculations like money and others.
3. What documents I will need to present while applying for visitor visa for him?

I really appreciate and thank you for your time in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,
My parents are retired govt professionals. They also have property in the city they live.
I have an elder brother who is 38 years old but he is dependent on my parents due to some mental illness.
He is perfectly fine to talk and very healthy but he never involved with other kids during his childhood and was scared so he quit studying. He was the brain MRI is all correct with no issues.

2. I want to apply visitor visa for all three of them, will showing him as dependent be a good idea. Because he is actually dependent as he don't know how to cook or earn any money. Neither he knows basic calculations like money and others.
3. What documents I will need to present while applying for visitor visa for him?

1. Yes, it's quite possible a psychiatrist might be able to help. Have your parents explored that option in their home country?
2. Based on the information you have provided, your brother will need to apply separately since he is an adult and does not meet the definition of a dependent. You would only be able to include your brother as a dependent in your parents application if he is dependent on them due to a mental or physical condition. However it sounds like you do not have any tests available to indicate that he has a mental condition. So I don't think IRCC will say he meets the definition of a dependent and he will therefore need to apply on his own.
3. You can include a letter from your parents indicating that their finances will cover his travel expense and also include their bank statement showing their available funds. It may be quite challenging for your brother to get a TRV approved since he doesn't have employment or his own assets / funds. But definitely give it a shot.

Reactions: Horlamidey

Jas12345

Nov 22, 2021
1. Yes, it's quite possible a psychiatrist might be able to help. Have your parents explored that option in their home country?
2. Based on the information you have provided, your brother will need to apply separately since he is an adult and does not meet the definition of a dependent. You would only be able to include your brother as a dependent in your parents application if he is dependent on them due to a mental or physical condition. However it sounds like you do not have any tests available to indicate that he has a mental condition. So I don't think IRCC will say he meets the definition of a dependent and he will therefore need to apply on his own.
3. You can include a letter from your parents indicating that their finances will cover his travel expense and also include their bank statement showing their available funds. It may be quite challenging for your brother to get a TRV approved since he doesn't have employment or his own assets / funds. But definitely give it a shot.
Thank you so much for your reply scylla.
I appreciate your advice.

I will apply for visa once he have his recent tests done and see doctor. The real thing is he is dependent. there was not much awareness about psychiatry in the past, that's why we never though about it. Since I came to Canada, I explored that thing. So we are now planning to take him to a psychiatrist so he can test and see what is wrong and help to cure.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello all,

I think before taking him for a long flight and a long trip, you should get him medically and psychiatrically/psychologically access. It's better to find out if this trip is OK for him before you plan to travel.

You also likely need some reports from doctors and psychiatrist for the application anyway.