+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for my boyfriend - URGENT

lisa_aaa

Dec 21, 2016
Good evening everyone,

I am University student at the University of Toronto, and my boyfriend who lives in Ecuador is also a university student in his country.
We meet over three years ago when I did some travelling in Ecuador. I have been to Ecuador several times since our relationship started. My parents are eager to meet him, and they want to invite him over to visit the family in Canada.

My concern is that he is a University student, and he doesn't have much money to his name, as a result of his tuition fees. He can display strong ties to Ecuador, as his whole family lives there, he has two more years until he completes his degree, and he is part of his family's restaurant business (just helping out in restaurant, serve, clean, and cook). He also hasn't been travelling outside of South America before.

My family has the financial resources to sponsor his trip to Canada, and provide food and accommodation for him. Would this be enough to convince the visa officers?

I want to hear people's opinion.

Do you guys believe my boyfriend has a chance of obtaining a visitor visa to Canada? We are planning for him to stay for about two weeks in Canada.
What can I do to make his case strong? and convince the visa officer that they should grant him a visa?

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
IMO, your family should not sponsor him.
You can provide accommodation and food.
He has strong ties with his country show that he is going to return for classes.
Make a day by day trip itinerary for him for the whole 2 weeks and mention those cost will be covered by you.
He has to show his own financial capability for the return air fare.

lisa_aaa

Dec 21, 2016
Thank you for your reply!
We will ask for documents from the University confirming his enrollment, and a letter explaining that he is enrolled in classes following his visit to Canada.
Ok! I will make an trip itinerary for him which will include visits to Niagara falls, CN tower, Hamilton, etc..
Could we purchase his airfare (round ticket) and then also transfer money over to his banking account, explaining that this had to be done for the sole purpose to demonstrate that my boyfriend has enough financial resources to cover costs for two weeks in Canada? If we transfer money to him it will show that we had proper planning in ensuring that my boyfriend would have enough funds available to him for his stay in Canada.
What is a recommended amount to bring with you to Canada when visiting for two weeks?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Do not purchase tickets or transfer money.

Show at least CA$2k plus airfare cost in funds in your boyfriend's name. Transferring money if he does not have these funds will raise a red flag...the VO can connect the dots. The money has to be his. If he doesn't show he can afford the trip on his own, the less likely it is that his visa will be approved.

lisa_aaa

Dec 21, 2016
Ok thanks!
Looking through previous posts, some people have stated it is okay to transfer funds (Jalex23) if the funds have been sitting in the account for some time untouched. How about his parents leading him some money? I see how it may raise a red flag, but considering his current financial situation (University tuition, student loans, and being a full-time student) it doesn't make a lot of sense that he would have that amount in his personal banking account.
I am sure the VO considers case by case, because it is unreasonable for a young student to have that sort of money in Ecuador being a full-time student.

If money is transferred for the sole purpose of affording the trip, I don't see it being much of a deal. Of course, we would have to prove to the VO that my boyfriend intends only to use this money has been transferred for his trip. Would an affidavit help for him to back up his claim that the money that was transferred into his account will be used for his trip?

lisa_aaa

Dec 21, 2016
Copy pasted from CIC website:

Temporary residents must have evidence that they can support themselves and any accompanying dependants while in Canada. That evidence may include one of the following:

cash, certified cheque, bank draft or money order in an amount large enough to cover all reasonable expenses to be incurred during the stay in Canada
verbal or written statements, which can be confirmed, that satisfy an officer that sufficient financial support from friends and/or family is available and has been arranged to adequately cover all reasonable expenses to be incurred during the stay in Canada.

Assessing financial resources
You may consider a combination of any of the following documents as evidence of ability to support an intended visit. The list is not exhaustive but demonstrates various resource documents that may be presented:

bank statement(s) or deposit book(s) of applicant (and spouse) that show accumulated savings
applicant's (and spouse's) letter of employment or employment book, providing name of employer, applicant's position/occupation, date employment commenced and annual earnings
host's or family member in Canada (and spouse's) evidence of income: such as previous year Revenue Canada Notice of Assessment indicating annual income; or alternately, letter from employer(s) showing position, date employment commenced and annual earnings
evidence of size of family for host or family member in Canada (to equate earnings with size of family to ensure ability to support long-term visit)
To assess the adequacy of a visitor's financial resources, you may exercise discretion in the documentation you request from applicants. In situations where applicants generally pose a low risk regarding funds, you may choose to limit or waive routine requirements for documentary evidence. For inland extensions or frequent visitors, for example, the client history may provide adequate information to determine whether or not the applicants can support themselves during their stay in Canada based on the information provided.

lisa_aaa

Dec 21, 2016
True is it all case by case. No real formula what to submit. After looking through this forum everyone seems to have different answers about every single thing, and different things seems to work for different people.